[Vision2020] An Idea With Some Merit?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Feb 8 11:13:11 PST 2010

I think that what I got out of it, Tom, wasn't the idea of segregation, but that if the disenfranchised actually HAD conscientious, effective representation in the corridors of power, and the corporations and those choking with privilege had less -- and again, this is all idealistic and not at all practical -- the economic and political course this country takes would be different.  I, too, find the idea of representation solely by race to be objectionable, although in a de facto sense, we have that already in some areas -- and, since the problems of wealthy Blacks are likely not the same issues faced by the poor of all races, such a thing would be of little help anyway.

The problem the author was trying to address is that children, the elderly, single parents in the inner city, the disabled, etc., have no one in Congress who really takes up their cause -- who represents them with integrity, gusto, and intelligence.  No one speaks for the marginalized, and that's why they continue to be marginalized.  I think that's what the author of the piece was trying, however imperfectly, to address.

Keely
www.keely-prevailingwinds.com