[Vision2020] Installment 9: True Beauty

Gier, Nicholas NGIER at uidaho.edu
Fri Dec 31 09:08:37 PST 2010

Moral beauty is an exceptional and very striking phenomenon. . . Much more than science, art and religion, moral beauty is the basis of civilization. --Alexis Carrel

Hi Jeff,

Beauty is obviously an important human value and it is intimately related to the virtues. One of the definitions of morality that I've come up with--with a lot of help from the Greeks and Confucians--is "Ethics is the art of making the soul great and noble."  I've written a lot about the aesthetics of virtue and posted a column entitled "Truth, Beauty, and Goodness" some time ago. See www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/truth.htm

I agree with Joe, however, that some of the definitions just don't cut it, especially the one on integrity. This one on beauty could also be improved. It is obvious that these people did not vet their definitions with any philosophers worth their tenure.  It is roughly equivalent to Japanese and Chinese directions that weren't shown to native speakers.  It's irresponsible and embarrassing.

I don't care if these people are right-wingers.  I will cooperate with anyone to work on values education in our schools.  Indeed, we cannot let conservatives set this important agenda, and they need to work with philosophers to improve their definitions and thinking, even if they may perceive us as somehow left-wing.

Happy Epiphany,

Nick