[Vision2020] Who pays US income tax?

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Dec 28 09:32:33 PST 2010

  Well, Mr Hansen,

I am uncomfortable when someone attributes words to me that I did not
say. I did not "reflect" those words, simply posted them from the
About.com site - which was coincidentally based on data from the US
Treasury.

On 12/28/2010 5:30 AM, Tom Hansen wrote:
> Jeff Harkins reflects:
>
> "The top 1 percent of taxpayers paid 33.7 percent of all individual income
> taxes in 2002. This group of taxpayers has paid more than 30 percent of
> individual income taxes since 1995. Moreover, since 1990 this group’s tax
> share has grown faster than their income share."
>
> Could it be because the top 1 percent earn a majority of the national income?

Well, it could be, but the Treasury Dept. reports that the top 1% in
earnings paid 33.7% of income taxes in 2002. They also report that the
1% income earners share of income taxation has grown faster that their
income share.

More to the point, Mr. Hansen, the Treasury Department reports that
"Taxpayers who rank in the top 50 percent of taxpayers by income pay
virtually all individual income taxes."

In all years since 1990, taxpayers in this group have paid over 94
percent of all individual income taxes. In 2000, 2001, and 2002, this
group paid over 96 percent of the total.

WOOF WOOF!