[Vision2020] Our Wonderful Latah County Justice System

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 27 16:00:43 PST 2010

Tom,

I don't think you or Wayne knew anything about this case when you started posting.  You don't know if this is a case of statutory rape or if it was by force, do you?

What basis do you have to say "But in all cases, No means NO!" when in the stat rape cases, both parties are saying "Yes?" You're just throwing out a cliche that doesn't apply in the stat rape setting.

He's on probation. If he violates probation then he could be sentenced to serve the 2-7, and he could also be sentenced on the rape, to anything the judge could have sentenced him to when he first appeared for his sentencing. That gives the judge a wide range of sentences if he doesn't comply with his probation.  The judge will also take into account the sort of violation, should one occur. They are not all the same, and do not all deserve imposition of a sentence, no matter what some of the shrill voices here think.

But why let either facts or ignorance of the facts get in the way of a diatribe? Yes, Hursh has a misdemeanor. That's not going to tip the balance into a fixed prison term. And having represented him on that charge, yes, I'm aware of it.

Of course Wayne only brings things like this up so he can rail about the prosecutor's office, our district judge, and then drag Steve Sitler into it. Oh, and James Leonard too. The facts are irrelevant to him.

Sunil