[Vision2020] Our Wonderful Latah County Justice System

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Dec 27 11:02:17 PST 2010

An important consequence of this ridiculously lame/inappropriate sentence is that it will discourage many rape victims from reporting their victimization.  Why report  a rape and suffer all the unpleasantness and humiliation that goes with the criminal justice process if the rapist only receives a $305 fine and probation, and hence is free to continue his ways?  And set an example of what few and little consequences follow raping someone -- $305, a withheld judgment, and freedom, aside from the few minor inconveniences of probation?

The same can be said for such casual repercussions for serial pedophilia as in the New Saint Andrews student Steven Sitler case -- a few months soft-time, not arrested for six months after a reported crime, and for crimes against several victims in at least three states.   Does this encourage parents/relatives/others to report child sexual abuse and allow the consequences to the victims if the abusers are going to sponsored and protected by a professional alleged, grossly hypocritical Christian [Douglas Wilson] and a kowtowing PA and sheriff?  And contrary to the terms of probation, be out on the streets without a chaperon at least once?

Where is the reporting in the local media that should spark enough moral outrage in the community so that change is demanded?

w.