[Vision2020] Freedom of expression

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Dec 16 05:30:38 PST 2010

Paul Rumelhart blindly hypothesizes:

"I'd also like to point out that I haven't read Doug Wilson's book, and
have no idea exactly what his claims in it are. . . . If Doug's book is a
valid work of historical research, . . . "

Here you go, Mr. R.

Read "Southern Slavery As It Was" and judge for yourself.  It's a fair
attempt at third grade fiction.

http://reformed-theology.org/html/books/slavery/southern_slavery_as_it_was.htm

Seeya round the plantation, Moscow.

On Wed, December 15, 2010 10:23 pm, Paul Rumelhart wrote:

> I don't think your "city test" is measuring what you think it is.
> Instead of being a valid measure of the amount of hate in a particular
> idea, it's measuring how emotionally invested people are in the topic.
> As I've said before, in some places in this country you would find
> certain basic ideas that I find completely reasonable to elicit a strong
> negative reaction.  This reaction says more about the person reacting to
> the statements than it does about anything else.
>
> I'd also like to point out that I haven't read Doug Wilson's book, and
> have no idea exactly what his claims in it are.  It wasn't pertinent to
> my original point, which was that no matter what it says Doug has the
> right to express his opinions.  I'm just trying to say that a stance
> that some people vehemently disagree with and that some people would
> find offensive does not necessarily equate to being hate speech.  A
> study, for example, that showed that members of ethnicity A have a much
> lower IQ on average that that of ethnicity B may be seen as completely
> incorrect and grossly offensive to members of ethnicity A, but should it
> be classified as "hate speech"?  I would say no, not if it's a valid
> scientific study.  If Doug's book is a valid work of historical
> research, then I wouldn't classify it as "hate speech" even if it's
> conclusions would get you beat up on the street in Spokane.  Your
> opinion may be different, so we might just have to agree to disagree on
> this one.
>
> If we try to use the test that if someone finds something offensive then
> it must be hate speech, then you get strange situations where people
> with no ill will towards members of a particular group might
> inadvertently offend someone and thus have their speech classified as
> "hate speech".  All I'm saying is that the common sense definition of
> "hate speech" would be speech showing hatred towards something.  How
> this definition changed into some sort of marker that a particular
> speech offended someone is beyond me.
>
> Paul
>
> Joe Campbell wrote:
>> Well there ARE a lot of reasons one could get their butt kicked in a
>> city. But none have the level of predictability of the city test. You
>> would not have any reason, in general, to think "Were I to go to
>> Spokane today, I'm likely to get my butt kicked." But you would have
>> plenty of reason to think that were you to go to Spokane today and,
>> say, hand out fliers that claim slavery in the US was a "paradise in
>> which slaves were treated well and had a harmonious relationship with
>> their masters" that you'd get your butt kicked. That is why you won't
>> do it, right? You know and I know what will happen. You'll go to
>> Spokane one day because, though it could happen, it's unlikely you'll
>> get your butt kicked but you won't try the city test because you know
>> you'll at least have a bad day, an unpleasant experience in Spokane.
> [...]

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown