[Vision2020] Freedom of expression

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 13:07:28 PST 2010

I just thought I'd weigh in here with a little diatribe of my own.

I think the freedom of an individual or group of individuals to express
themselves is sacrosanct.  The freedom to express your opinion should be
held dearly by everyone, if they want to live in a free society.

There are very few limits that should be placed on speech, in my humble
opinion, most having to do with statements of facts and not opinions.  I
agree with libel laws, for example.  On the other hand, I disagree with
obscenity laws probably universally.  If groups want to get together and
form islands of information in which certain ideas are suppressed, I'm
for that, too, as long as other options exist.  For example, if someone
wanted to create a separate internet targeted at children that enforced
it's own censorship, I would be OK with that.  If parents were OK with
their kids surfing unrestrained on the Big Bad Internet, then they
should be allowed to do so without repercussions if their child ends up
on a porn site or a site about Islam or whatever your favorite boogey
man is.

As an aside, this is why I support Wikileaks.  Our government works *for
us*.  They should only have secrets in very narrowly defined areas for
very specific reasons.  And no, "they shouldn't see it because it will
make our leaders look like hypocrites" does not qualify.  The people
behind Wikileaks are exposing secrets that shouldn't be secrets in a
reasonable world.

According to my views on freedom of expression, political correctness is
a disease that should be purged from the  world.  Instead of helping, it
just sweeps the problem under the rug.  If a person hates blacks because
of an incident when they were younger, or because they just don't like
people who are "different", then they should be free to express that
opinion.  Others will likely disagree, and a dialogue will probably
ensue, but this is healthy.  This tendency by people to shun these sorts
of debates is unhealthy for society (in my opinion, anyway).

In an effort to totally ostracize myself from the community, I might as
well go ahead and add that I also disagree with some of the child
pornography laws as they exist on the books, as they relate to freedom
of expression.  These laws have been expanded so much under the guise of
"save the children" that they are insane.  In Australia, one man was
arrested for having downloaded a drawing of Bart Simpson engaged in
having sex, and was convicted under that countries child pornography
laws.  In Iowa, another man was arrested for possessing manga comics
from Japan that contained drawings of children having sex.  Was Bart
Simpson actually hurt by this?  Or the fictional Japanese schoolgirl?  I
can understand the prohibition against possession of real child porn
(because it creates a market for such things) though I don't agree with
it completely.  I think it should be a prohibition against
*distribution* of child pornography, not simply "possession", if for no
other reason than people might be likely to hand it over to law
enforcement without the fear of going to jail themselves.  Prohibition
against "virtual porn" is crazy and needs to be fought.

So what does this mean to us?  It means that if something offends you,
you should suck it up and learn to live with it.  Grow some thicker skin
and see if you can find a sense of humor on sale somewhere.  Freedom of
expression, if that's a concept you agree with, has to trump "freedom
from being offended".  The minute you allow the idea that some things
are just too horrible to be read or viewed, then you've just thrown the
concept of freedom of expression out the window.  Now you'll have a
slippery slope where the definition of "too horrible" tends to match the
ideals of the people who are in power at any given moment.

The odd irony for people who really believe in freedom of expression is
that they most often end up defending things that they might vehemently
disagree with.  They defend the speech of people they simply don't like
or don't agree with, and they defend speech they are personally offended
by because the speech that everyone agrees with is not threatened.

Very little offends me, but even if I was offended by the NSA website,
which I wasn't, then I would still be fighting for their right to be as
inane with their metaphors as they wish.  I applaud them, really, for
not rushing to change the page in an orgy of political correctness.

Paul