[Vision2020] System Justification, the Denial of Global Warming, and the Possibility of “System-Sanctioned Change”

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 12 16:25:20 PST 2010

The whole underlying assumption that global warming or whatever they are
calling it these days is some sort of universal truth and that anyone
who disagrees must be denying that truth is indicative of just how
politicized this topic has become.

There are a set of hypotheses having to do with changes in climate, CO2,
and future consequences that have been proposed.  The onus is on them to
convince us that they are correct.  By not being convinced, I'm not
denying some universal truth, I'm just not convinced.  I have real
problems with how they have modeled feedbacks, for example.  It's up to
them to convince me that they have indeed handled them correctly,
preferably by showing how well their models have fit observations.

The fact that the authors put the phrase "denial of global warming" in
the title of their paper makes me shake my head at how the science has
been flushed down the toilet.  Analyzing why people don't believe your
hypothesis is not the way to convince other scientists that it is
correct.  Neither is gaming the peer review system or making it
career-damaging to support other hypotheses, but that's an argument for
another day.

Paul