[Vision2020] Freedom of expression

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Dec 12 14:04:15 PST 2010

Mr. Rumelhart -

Comments like "violent rhetoric" and "this offends me" are terms used in
evaluating the appropriateness of the commentary posted on the NSA
website.

Those terms DO NOT convey restrictions to NSA's right to free speech..

Remember a few years ago when some slime chalked the word "Nazi" on the
sidewalk outside the entrance to NSA?  Remember the fervor that caused
here on the Viz?  The displeasure expressed here on the Viz was loud and
shrill (and, in some cases, threatening).

The cumquat that perpetrated that malice, outside of possibly violating a
city ordinance against graffiti on public property, violated no law.

As much as both of us may disagree with what (and how it) is expressed
from either side of the "aisle", . . .

It really is just that simple.