[Vision2020] Illegal Gardening -- Not!

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sun Dec 5 17:55:54 PST 2010

Yes:  some people are going totally bonkers.  I've been working among people
I know to dispel the fear mongering tactics that have been used to target HR
875 & more recently S 510 for over a year, and some people seemingly are
more willing to trust huge agribusinesses to give us safe food - something
they've failed at miserably - than update our antiquated food safety laws &
enforcement because that's "evil government."  You know, it's really just
the same kind of illogical thinking of those who scream for small government
all the while wanting the kind of things only government can adequately
provide like national defense and getting tough on "illegal aliens."
<shaking my head>  And food safety.

Even though the Senate recently passed S 510, desperately needed meaningful
food safety reform isn't a done deal yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/01/health/policy/01food.html

For those interested in reading a little more, I recommend checking out:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/opinion/25schlosser.html

It's written by the guy who did "Food, Inc." so he's a hero of mine.

"EVERY day, about 200,000 Americans are sickened by contaminated food. Every
year, about 325,000 are hospitalized by a food-borne illness. And the number
who are killed annually by something they ate is roughly the same as the
number of Americans who've been killed in Iraq and Afghanistan since 2003."

Also check out:

http://www.consumersunion.org/campaigns/notinmyfood/newsroom.html

http://sustainableagriculture.net/category/food-safety/

(I don't agree with all of the NSAC's comments on this, but they do have
some good discussion nonetheless).

HTH,

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****