[Vision2020] students away from home

Joe Campbell philosopher.joe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 07:59:55 PST 2010

Thanks, Wayne.

I agree with most of what you say, and with what Saundra and Keely
have said, especially the point about the DN's lack of good business
sense. I don't see why they think they will sell more newspapers in
this area with their numerous stories about NSA, biased reporting
during election season, and weekly columns from their dull-minded,
radical conservative columnists. There are two universities in the
area and it would seem that they have the resources for something
better, something that would sell given their large academic audience.
But likely Nathan has enough money and doesn't need to make more off
of the DN. It serves another purpose. That's why I won't buy the
paper. It is yellow journalism and little more.

What I disagree with is the comment that "the influence and size" of
Christ Church and other Wilson affiliated ministries "is on the wane
in this area, and for good reasons." What makes you think their
influence and size is shrinking? I don't see it. In the last local
election, for instance, Nancy won by a very small margin (I don't
remember if it was 20 or 40 but something like that). The likely
reason is that Weber (as with the other council members) voted to ban
indoor smoking in restaurants and bars. This put him on the CC naughty
list. If CC had wanted Weber to win, he would have won.

I'll only add that the one advantage progressives have, politically
speaking, is that CC seems to hate almost every reasonable person who
would run for office. They seem to favor folks like Bouma and Young,
both of whom are offensive to anyone who is not a member of the
radical right. That is they only favor folks who are not electable.
But note that Bouma and Young did win the primary elections. In any
event, the local radical right seems to be more of problem for the
Republican party than folks in general. This is why the most
fair-minded Republicans do their best to either ignore CC or try to
paint them as less than radical.