[Vision2020] The Perfect Christmas Gift

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Dec 1 11:03:44 PST 2010

Courtesy of Wired at:

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/12/the-perfect-christmas-gift-your-own-aircraft-carrier/

The Perfect Christmas Gift: Your Own Aircraft Carrier
By Doug Cornelius

Just in time for the holidays and it is “in stock.”

The HMS Invincible is up for sale to the highest bidder (subject to bidder
confirmation). Sale by Tender – HMS Invincible

Estimated metal weight – 10000 Tonnes
Estimated metal % – 95% mild steel
Length – OA 210m, W/L 193m
Draught – Fwd 5.2m, Mid 5.8m, Aft 5.8m
Beam – Extreme 35m, Ex-walkways 32m, W/L 27.53m
Height – 46m (estimated at current draught
Engines – Removed
Generators and Pumps – Generally unserviceable or not working

Invincible is (was?) a light aircraft carrier designed for helicopters and
Harrier jets. That’s why there is ski jump on the ship’s runway.

She was commissioned in 1980, the seventh ship to carry the name and
served until 2005. During that time she saw action in the Falklands,
Yugoslavia and Iraq. She was decommissioned in 2005, but maintained as an
active carrier in case the need arose.

The need has passed and she is yours for the taking. The Royal Navy is
hoping to pocket £2 million from the winning bidder. Unfortunately, the
winning bidder is likely to more interested in the 10,000 tons of steel
than having a private navy.

The sale requirement is that it be recycled in accordance with
international law on the shipment of waste or refurbished for non-warlike
purposes. The engines have been removed, so you will need a few tug boats
if you’re the winning bidder.

Bids are  due on January 5, 2011. I’m sure it will make a perfect holiday
present for the naval history buff on your gift list. My six-year old is
already asking me to place a bid. Anyone have an extra £2 million?

You can place your bid on Britain's Disposable Services Authority website at:

http://tinyurl.com/For-Sale-HMS-Invincible

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown