[Vision2020] "Don't frighten me... with visions of drowning Polar Bears" OK... Let Sarah McLaughlin Sing Instead!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 29 20:01:26 PDT 2010

Actually, I that wasn't aimed at you personally.  I was just referring
to the fact that no politicians have contacted me with well-wishes for
my continued success in trying to ferret out the truth.  That's what I
meant by being "roundly ignored".

Right now, there are a few things you can't do politically.  You can't
fight against the erosion of our rights in the fight against terror,
because you'll be branded as un-American and pro-terrorist.  You can't
fight against the erosion of our rights as they relate to criminal
activity without being branded as not "thinking of the children".  And
you can't suggest that we don't treat global warming as if we were in
the days just before being invaded by aliens or something of that
magnitude without being condemned for endangering the human race.

In all three cases above, there is an attempt to use our fears against
us to lead us towards a goal.  I don't want to be manipulated by the
fears of my compatriots.  There are good reasons for moving off of oil
and coal and for building up alternative energy technology that have
nothing to do with greenhouse gases or carbon credits.  I would rather
those in power push those reasons, rather than trying to scare me into
doing the right thing.

In short, more carrot, less stick please.

Why must we do something right now, anyway?  Realistically, we'll never
get people right now to cut back on much of anything based on fears of
what might happen 50 or 100 years down the road - even if the fears are
real and not over-hyped.  Just wait until sea level raises three feet.
That's a number people can understand, and a number big enough that it
will start making noticeable changes in some coastlines.  The current
value at the moment is about 20cm since 1880, or just under 8 inches.
At the highest rate (measured by satellites: 3.1mm/year), we'll get to 3
feet according to my calculations in 2239
(36in-8in=28in=71.12cm=711.2mm, 711.2mm/3.1(mm/yr)=229yr,
2010+229yr=2239).  Or wait until it starts to hit 120 degrees here in
the summers for a week or two every year like clockwork.  Or wait until
you can sail to the North Pole every year without ice breakers.

In the meantime, the environmentalists could be sneaky and try arguing
the benefits of getting off of coal or reducing pollution or building
nuclear plants without referring to climate change, knowing that they
are stealthily saving the world in the process.

Paul