[Vision2020] No one knows what God wants

Sam Scripter MoscowSam at charter.net
Thu Aug 19 11:58:45 PDT 2010

Thank you, Garrett!  Very cogently expressed.

Sam Scripter

 From the Moscow-Pullman Daily News

  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR: Aug. 19

Posted on: Thursday, August 19, 2010

<http://www.lmtribune.com/adserver/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=499__zoneid=42__cb=3e1a3e11ff__oadest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nwmarket.com%2Fpages%2Fbuyers_guide>

*No one knows what God wants*

People throughout history have used their belief in God to justify many
things, from the mundane to the profane. It's still disconcerting to see
those involved in science, like Larry Kirkland (Letters, Aug. 14-15),
claim to know what God wants. At the best it's arrogance, at the worst
it's craziness. No one knows what God wants.

Even if we did, the First Amendment is very clear: It's illegal to pass
laws "respecting an establishment of religion."

Those trying to legislate their religion have a fundamental disconnect
about what America is. To discriminate against fellow Americans because
of your religion is bad enough, but to try to usurp the First Amendment,
that's traitorous and dangerous.

It seems people like Kirkland have created God in their image. They
worship a vengeful god, someone willing to send you to hell if you
disobey. Why someone would worship a god who seems insecure and
tyrannical I don't know, but this is America. We don't have tyrants or
kings ruling us. We elect our leaders.

The First Amendment also guarantees we can "... petition the Government
for a redress of grievances." Can we do that with Larry's god? It seems
he wants us to forget the concept of a constitutional republic, bow down
and endorse his bigotry.

It's evil to keep people from loving each other. It's evil to use
religion to suppress other Americans' civil liberties.

Gay people are just as capable of being rational, responsible and loving
people as Kirkland probably assumes he is. He should be allowed to
commit his love to whoever he wants, just as much as homosexuals.
Neither should be in an elite class.

I'm not willing to sacrifice our Constitution and fundamental principles
of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness to Larry's religion. I
hope rational people won't, too.

*Garrett Clevenger*

Moscow