[Vision2020] Facebook; The death of Vision 2020?

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 09:55:13 PDT 2010

On 8/15/10, Reggie Holmquist <reggieholmquist at u.boisestate.edu> wrote:

http://mailman.fsr.com/pipermail/vision2020/2010-August/071239.html

>  I do agree with the idea that it would be weird for Don or I to usurp the
> V2020 name.

--------
It is "vision2020" not V2020.  Actually, it is "vision2020.moscow." There
are other websites that use "V2020" in the URL (
https://www.v2020-sai.com/) though the website content implies this is
an abbreviation for
"vision2020."  But regardless, a simple Google search for "vision2020" (
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Vision2020&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g-s2g2g-s1g1g-s4&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
) reveals
numerous organizations on the Internet naming themselves "Vision2020."  It
appears no one is claiming exclusive rights to "vision2020."  However, given
this list serve is "vision2020.moscow," if someone started another
discussion forum aimed at local participants, they could name it
"PalouseVision2020" perhaps, to avoid confusion.

Many of the websites using "vision2020"  are not discussion lists.

Vision2020.moscow was the third result in the Google search, indicating it
is among the most trafficked websites using "vision2020," if I understand
correctly how Google works.

As far as the antiquated functions of this list, I suppose this is a problem
to attracting some participants.  On the issue of searching for past posts,
I have found that storing the posts from this list on my Gmail account,
solves this problem.  Gmail also sorts the posts into their threads, based
on subject heading, so when opening a thread all the posts under that thread
are shown.  I have used the Gmail email search function numerous times to
find older posts with success.  Having a dedicated Gmail account only for
this list has advantages.  No need to sort through the inbox for the emails
not associated with this list.  I use other email accounts for other
personal content.

But the technological advantages of other websites are to some extent just
bells and whistles, when you actually analyze the content.  The Internet is
replete with participants who have never learned the English, or any
language, beyond the level of a high school sophomore, who lack basic
critical thinking skills, who appear to think that not only are they
entitled to their opinion, but to their own
fabricated facts. Vision2020.moscow can offer to its readers what is
frequently absent from Facebook: well written posts containing fact based
critical thinking.  Some of the criticisms of vision2020.moscow also could
apply to the great books of civilization, as they appear on paper.

Maybe just focusing on written language in a discussion, without a lot of
other "distractions," is of some value?

As far as the purpose of vision2020.moscow, it is defined by the
participants, and changes from week to week, though there is a "Mission
Statement" ( http://vision2020.moscow.com/mission.asp ).

Given the globalization of humanity in economics, politics, ecology, it is
becoming less meaningful to separate local from global, on many issues.  It
is time for everyone to think of themselves as citizens of Earth, more so
than any other time in history.