[Vision2020] Facebook; The death of Vision 2020?

Ken kmmos1 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 08:39:57 PDT 2010

On Saturday 14 August 2010 10:31:18 Donovan Arnold wrote:
> I believe, that Vision 2020, that hasn't changed its low-tech format since
> 1994, which is both annoying and unnecessarily inconvenient to use by its
> subscribers, will be replaced by another Internet company or reputable
> company or organization that establishes such a forum on Facebook or
> similar network.

Please accept my condolences on your morning annoyance.

> Sure, anyone could establish a Palouse Forum, but people would be more
> likely to join a forum created by First Step Internet that uses the same
> name.

A different forum should have a different name. Bait and switch is impolite.

> Image [sic] a Vision 2020 that took only moments to skim through instead of
> opening and closing each email, or getting one at the end of the day after
> the conversation is over.

So, your objection is to text messages, rather than visual images you prefer.

> You could post links, images, and information much more quickly. And perhaps
> the best things of all would be that people could not use your name in
> postings or false names to launch personal attacks against members of the
> community.

Creating raw images from scratch may take as much or more time as writing a
text message. Finding appropriate images to convey a message may take as long
or longer than creating a text message. In either case images may be less
detailed, less precise, and less specifically informative than text messages.

> A Facebook account would be more meaningful and helpful to a community that
> wished to grow and be productive with its online networking.

An image-based messaging system may be preferable to some people, but that
does not negate the meaningfulness, helpfulness, and personal, productive
growth through on-line networking possible with text-based messaging.

> It would also be of better service to facilitate the purpose and mission of
> Vision 2020.

Don't confuse yourself, Donovan. The primary purpose and mission of for-profit
companies is to make money. Yes, community service is an appreciated and an
ethical activity by business organizations, but in a complete analysis,
service by companies to their hosting communities may be as necessary to a
business's survival as its profitability.

> Vision 2020 will eventually be replaced, the question is how it will be
> replaced, and by what entity.

Yes, activities and organizations tend to have life cycles, as do people.

> I hope it is still First Step Internet.

The trenchant matter is not the hosting organization, or its technologies, but
rather the interactions of the people using the service among themselves.

> But I don't see it making any moves to save Vision 2020 and keep ownership
> of its own idea of an uncensored soap box forum to facilitate change in
> the Palouse Community.

There are thousands of communication alternatives open to anyone with an
active Internet access point; Vision2020 is merely one of them. Vision2020
may have started with the idea of attempting to see clearly Moscow, Idaho, a
quarter of a century into the future. Now sixty percent of that time is gone,
and only a decade remains of the original time frame. However, whatever the
name of the group, or the electromagnetic pathways with which it is enabled,
the need for clear vision into the City's, and the region's, future remains.

Ken