[Vision2020] Facebook; The death of Vision 2020?

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sat Aug 14 18:48:17 PDT 2010

In part, Paul wrote:
"If anyone has ever used Yahoo Groups, that's the kind of model I'm talking
about.  You could still get the emails as a list, but there would be a place
to find stuff that the community has uploaded and have an easier time
looking for archived emails."

While I like the idea of a more robust bulletin board or internet forum type
of thing, I'm completely unimpressed with the "free" ones I'm experienced
with.  I'd give a ***huge*** thumbs down to Yahoo! Groups -- I own &/or
moderate several groups with Y!G (including one group founded in 1997 with
12,000+ international members now and virtually no spam) & find it to be a
royal PITA with non-existent customer service . . . but it's free, so there
you go.

My experience with Topix is very dated, so perhaps it's improved, but it
definitely wasn't user friendly back in 2005 or 2006.

I'm against something like Google Groups that requires people to have a
gmail email addy or open an account.

One of the really great features, IMHO, of the current FSR-donated service
is that it really is very user friendly:  sign up with the email addy of
your choice, and you're off & running.  That, I think, is a necessary &
important aspect for those who are less Internet interested or savvy,
although I don't know how many -- if any -- subscribers fit that category.

Another really great aspect is that V2020 is local, and in the extremely
rare instances where there have been technical issues, FSR has been
incredibly responsive incredibly quickly, IMHO, even though they are
donating the service & resources.  That's something I'd hazard a guess would
be impossible to duplicate with any other free service.

Anyway, while I'd like a more robust set of features, I don't know of any
free sources that would match the user friendliness and stellar tech support
aspect of what we've got now.

Ditto your thanks to First Step -- they do an excellent job, and I'm
grateful!

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****