[Vision2020] Far from ground zero, opponents fight new mosques

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 10:19:53 PDT 2010

This is perhaps off the topic of this thread, but during the controversy (
is this controversy over? ) over New Saint Andrews college in downtown
Moscow's CBD (Central Business District), which some claim was allowed to
occupy the Verizon building in violation of zoning law ( I found this
website on this topic just now: http://www.zonemoscow.com/ ), it was
suggested that if instead of a Christian college, that an Islamic oriented
college (for example, Islamic University of Minnesota:
http://www.iumn.net/English/EHome.aspx ) had aimed to move into the Verizon
building, the zoning restrictions would have been applied to block them.

And some would argue this is wise, given the point of view possibly behind
some of those who oppose a Mosque near the 9/11 WTC site, expressed by US
General Boykin as described below.  There is a sizable group of people in
the US who view the "War on Terror" in part as a battle between the one true
God of Christianity, and the false religion of Islam:

>From website above:

   *Published on Thursday, October 16, 2003 by the Los Angeles
Times<http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-general16oct16,1,3848628,print.story?coll=la-home-headlines>
*
 *General Casts War in Religious Terms
The top soldier assigned to track down Bin Laden and Hussein is an
evangelical Christian who speaks publicly of 'the army of God.'
*
 *by Richard T. Cooper*

Discussing the battle against a Muslim warlord in Somalia, Boykin told
another audience, "I knew my God was bigger than his. I knew that my God was
a real God and his was an idol."

"We in the army of God, in the house of God, kingdom of God have been raised
for such a time as this," Boykin said last year.

On at least one occasion, in Sandy, Ore., in June, Boykin said of President
Bush: "He's in the White House because God put him there."
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett