[Vision2020] LaFortunes to Reign at Ren Fair

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Apr 30 05:58:53 PDT 2010

Courtesy of today's (April 30, 2010) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

LaFortunes to reign at Ren Fair
By Sarah Barrett For the Daily News

The 37th annual Moscow Renaissance Fair will celebrate spring this
weekend, and Jim and Kathie LaFortune will preside as king and queen. The
LaFortunes have been appointed to welcome the crowds to East City Park for
two days of festivities and merry-making.

Each year, the Moscow Renaissance Fair Committee elects a king and queen.

"We try to appoint a couple that has shown exemplary service to the
community," said Dave Willard, committee president.

The king and queen facilitate the relationship between the fair and the
community, said Marc Fleisher, the publicity director for the fair. "When
someone suggested to Willard that we appoint Jim and Kathie, we all
thought ... 'Perfect!' "

Jim LaFortune will open the ceremonies by singing a Brooks West song that
he rewrote to suit the local landscape. He hopes the song, "Campfires,
Moonlight, Good Wine and Chocolate," evokes enthusiasm for the simple
pleasures that spring delivers.

Kathie LaFortune will join her husband in the commencement of ceremonies
by reciting a poem by the Scottish poet Robert Louis Stevenson. In the
spirit of the fair, the LaFortunes plan on kicking up their heels
alongside the community members they have considered family for nearly 20
years.

The LaFortunes moved to Moscow in 1990 when Jim accepted a teaching
position at Moscow Junior High School. Jim went on to become one of the
school district's most beloved teachers by students, parents and
colleagues alike. Jim teaches earth sciences. He also has taught Spanish,
pulling from his experience having worked with Kathie as a Peace Corps
volunteer in Paraguay.

Jim cares deeply about his students, MJHS Principal Dale Kleinert said.
"He's one of those people who is able to mobilize the school and community
as one. I can't think of a better king."

In addition to his work within the school district, Jim founded the Moscow
Area Mountain Bike Association to maintain the hiking and biking trails on
Moscow Mountain. He has grown the organization into a thriving volunteer
group that works alongside Bennett Lumber and other private landowners to
make more than 30 miles of mountain trails available to locals and
visitors.

The queen also has made significant contributions to the community as a
pediatric physical therapist. Kathie works with the infant and toddler
programs at Gritman Medical Center and with the Idaho Assistive Technology
Project. She has been active in the advancement of disabled children
within the community, making playgrounds and outdoor activities accessible
to them through state and federal grant projects.

In what is perhaps their finest contribution to the community, Jim and
Kathie are living examples of courage. In September, Jim was diagnosed
with an aggressive form of brain cancer. He has taken a leave of absence
from teaching to undergo chemotherapy and is currently waging a noble
fight for his life. Kathie proudly stands beside him. Together they remain
strong and embrace each day as it comes.

"We live in hope," they said.

Come Saturday, Jim and Kathie will don their royal regalia and delight in
celebrating spring with the community, which they say has been an
invaluable support in their recent battle.

"We feel humbled to be appointed the king and queen. We could never thank
the community enough for everything they have extended us," said Kathie.

Jim and Kathie will lead the parade, fashioned in Renaissance costumes
provided by the University of Idaho's theater department. Kathie will wear
a necklace that the king made for her on Valentine's Day in 1986.

"I am excited about seeing all the people I haven't seen in some time,"
Jim said. "I am looking forward to eating great food and celebrating
spring. Most of all, I am looking forward to dancing with the queen."

Jim and Kathie LaFortune

http://www.dnews.com/images/20100429-4bda65bcb3baa.jpg

Seeya there, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."