[Vision2020] NPR: Scientists Capture Elusive Giant Palouse Earthworm

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Tue Apr 27 18:37:50 PDT 2010

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 17:37:31 Wayne Price wrote:
> This could be a good news-bad news story.

I think it is mostly a good news story, illustrating that diversity
among earthworm species extends itself even to our latitude and
longitude.

> We have confirmed that the worm is a giant palouse earthworm and
> they exist,  the bad news is that these were the last two.

Since earthworms, generally, have been in the soil for six hundred
million years, and are suggested by some scientists as being the most
important species in the history of Earth's biology, it really would
be huge news if these were the last two. Even if we restrict
ourselves to considering the last two of this particular giant
Palouse species, I think it unlikely that all of these worms are so
silly as to allow themselves so close to the surface as to be
discovered by various predators, including H. sapiens.

In the possible, but unlikely, scenario that humans waste their time
trying to track down and eradicate this specific species of worms to
protect property rights, or some other such non-ecological reason, it
might turn into a bad-news story. However, Hog Heaven farmers have
been plowing and seeding and harvesting above these worms for the
better part of a century without ill effects to either species. Only
in the last handful of years has some curiosity has been raised, and,
unless most individuals of the earthworm species turn out to be
wildly exceptional in some way, the likely result is that they will
be ignored.

In some science fiction or fantasy world, say a planet-Earth-based
generation of Dune-Arrakis, for example, the worms might be in some
danger. If some Vandal scientist figured out how to genetically
modify them to grow 100 times larger, and then to encourage them to
produce some fantastic new fertilizer or spice or drug that could be
sold for riches even more addictive than ... well, you get the idea.
The worms are probably in danger only if they are discovered to be
worth more money than the crops that are presently grown above them.

Frank Herbert, RIP. We're going to re-read, not re-write, your work.

Ken