[Vision2020] UI Safer With Moscow Police

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sat Apr 17 23:10:02 PDT 2010

Hi Wayne,

While I personally hope the UI *finally* finds some wisdom and continues
with MPD, I agree with you that it's certainly possible for other campus
security solutions to provide high quality.

HOWEVER, the UI has a very poor track record, IMHO, when contracting
services out, particularly in recent years.  As has been shown time & again,
when the UI contracts services out, it winds up costing a lot more, both in
terms of financial costs *and* quality.

Tom posted an article from the Snooze recently that included the following:
" The department's contract with the UI for this fiscal year is a little
more than $1 million, and it makes up a significant portion of the city's
police services budget. Police services comprise about 40 percent of
Moscow's general fund budget - about $4.4 million of the city's $11.3
million budget.

***Johnson said the university is in the process of reviewing all major
contracts to determine their effectiveness and evaluate UI's selection
processes.

Other contracts that have been reviewed include the recently renewed food
services contract with Sodexho, employee benefits contracts and student
health contracts, he said.

Whenever the university is spending a large amount on a contract, "you want
to find the best value for your dollar," Johnson said. "We want to see if
there's a more efficient way of taking care of business.***"
[Emphasis is mine.  SL]

Not mentioned are big bucks spent for legal services that are contracted out
in spite of big bucks paid to UI counsel.  Also, the UI has thrown a lot of
good money after bad hand over fist with respect to software contracts.
And, I'm sure there are lots of other examples to show how penny wise &
pound foolish the UI has become.

I'm sorry -- I just simply do not trust the current UI administration to be
able to make smart decisions when they've got such a rotten track record in
recent history.

With MPD, I believe there's accountability because MPD is a ***part*** of
this community.  More importantly, the partnership has worked well!

What's that saying?  Oh, yeah:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Particularly when those at the UI making the decisions and calling the shots
can't tell their *sses from holes in the ground!

Roger recently posted:
"Cuts should start at the top. There are plenty of things at the
administrative level than can be cut. All of the top administrators should
take a cut. Doug Baker and Lloyd Mues could be cut permanently."

Amen!!!

JMHO,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2010 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****