[Vision2020] Tea Party endorses Walt Minnick

Kenneth Marcy kmmos1 at verizon.net
Fri Apr 16 10:54:42 PDT 2010

http://tinyurl.com/y6q9tbt

Tea party endorsement catches Democrat Walt Minnick, his challengers
off-guard

BY ERIKA BOLSTAD - ebolstad at idahostatesman.com
Copyright: © 2010 Idaho Statesman
Published: 04/16/10

http://tinyurl.com/y6q9tbt

WASHINGTON - The most influential national tea party group, backed by
a $3 million campaign war chest, surprised Idahoans by endorsing
freshman Rep. Walt Minnick's re-election bid. Not all local tea
partyers were pleased.

Minnick is the only Democrat in the nation to land an endorsement from
the Tea Party Express, the most prominent national organization in
the burgeoning political movement.

Tea Party Express announced its slate of endorsements - and targets -
at a rally in Washington held to mark the April 15 federal income tax
deadline.

"We can't be just a Republican organization. We've got to be an
influential force in both political parties," said Sal Russo, a
veteran GOP political consultant and one of the forces behind the Tea
Party Express. "We have to reward some Democrats thathave been
willing to stand with us on the tough issues."

But a Boise tea party organizer said local leaders weren't consulted
about the Minnick endorsement, and they were puzzled by it.

"We don't know where the national tea party came up with the
endorsement of Walt Minnick," said Russ Smerz of Tea Party
Boise. "It's a little concerning to us that Tea Party Express would
endorse someone in the state of Idaho without consulting us first.
We're not endorsing any candidate at this time - including Walt
Minnick."

Minnick's campaign didn't solicit the endorsement, said spokesman John
Foster. Minnick doesn't agree with all aspects of the tea party
movement, Foster said, but the campaign welcomes support from a broad
range of people.

"Walt has worked very hard to show that he can represent a wide
variety of interests," Foster said.

Minnick was endorsed by the National Abortion and Reproductive Rights
Action League in 2008. He's also seen support this year in the form
of donations from individual members of firefighters and carpenters
unions, Foster said.

Foster said Minnick suspects the endorsement came in part because of
his voting record on fiscal issues: He voted against last year's
economic-stimulus law, cap-and-trade legislation and the health care
overhaul. Those three are among the five fundamental proposals the
Tea Party Express has fought.

Also, Foster said, Minnick was the only member of the Idaho
congressional delegation to attend a tea party town hall in Boise in
August, at the height of the national fervor over health care reform.
Sen. Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, participated in the event over the phone.

The two Republicans who are vying to face Minnick in November were
just as baffled as Smerz. Vaughn Ward and state Rep. Raul Labrador
spent the past two days campaigning at two separate tea party events
in Idaho.

"The endorsements I care about are Idaho endorsements," Ward said.

Labrador said he saw the endorsement as additional interference from
national groups that aren't familiar with Idaho politics. But he
hastened to add that he feels a strong affinity for the Idaho tea
party movement and doesn't associate the national endorsement with
anything local tea party groups intend to do in the race.

"I think whatever it is - an endorsement or anything - it's not
relevant to the people of Idaho. We have the same problem with the
NRCC," he said, referring to the National Republican Congressional
Committee, which has thrown its weight behind Ward in the May 25
primary.

People at Boise's tea party rally were divided about the Minnick
endorsement.

Patrick Clayton, 33, of Boise said he likes that Minnick voted against
the health care law. The endorsement "speaks volumes to the tea party
in general," Clayton said. "There's a lot of stereotypes that it's a
Republican, white-led party. But it's not based on party or race.
It's based on heart and values."

But Daniel Jensen, 51, of Boise said he tried to talk to Minnick once
when he encountered him on a sidewalk. "He's very close-minded,"
Jensen said. "What we need is politicians to talk to the people and
not think on their own. They represent us."

Erika Bolstad: (202) 383-6104. Reporter Katy Moeller contributed.

http://tinyurl.com/y6q9tbt