[Vision2020] Richard Dawkins calls for arrest of PopeBenedictXVI

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Apr 15 10:02:59 PDT 2010

I'm glad that you trust the MPD/LCSD to treat all equally and to charge all crimes/omissions, and to be truthful about everything.  By the way, would you like to buy some shares in a silver mine?

I trust the LCSD/MPD less than I do the Spokane PD (see article below).  I believe it more probable than not that in the 20 years we have lived here, there have been numerous case of perjury by certain officers of same resulting in convictions that might not have occurred otherwise.  I believe it far more probable than not that two high ranking officers perjured themselves in a CYA move in a civil proceeding.  The federal court in CDA ruled against one of these who was a defendant in related civil action where the same testimony was given.

I think your mind is so closed that even sworn affidavits would sway your view.

There is a possibility that at some point in this whole sorted Sitler and related mess a civil action will be filed.  Plaintiff's attorney then during discovery can subpoena documents, phone records, take sworn depositions, check the accuracy of same, etc.  In the event this occurs, I think it likely that the alternative I offered below will be augmented and details filled in.  I hardy expect that what would found during this discovery action would change your mind either.

But here's something that might change your mind:

The next time your are alone man-to-man with Cultmaster Wilson, ask him when was the first time he became aware of the allegations against Sitler with respect to the first victim in the Latah County case or any other victim of Sitler's.  Ask the question and pursue asking it in such a way that the Cultmaster cannot lie by omission as he is so adept at doing.  Also, ask him similarly when he first became aware that Sitler was likely inclined to pedophilia.

But before you do, and before you completely reject the probability alternative 2 below, you might ask yourself these and other related questions:

Why was not a felony warrant for Sitler immediately issued despite probable cause, thus precluding questioning by LCSD detectives?

Why was Sitler allowed to flee uncharged to his parent's home in Washington and stay there for six months, despite the probable cause for his arrest here and for his arrest in Stevens County, Washington for similar crimes against victims there?

As for the Daily News, its coverage was very late, meager, and quite subdued considering the ignominy of Sitler's crimes.  The LMT did a better, although delayed job.

W.

 April 15, 2010
Zehm grand jury to hear evidence police changed testimony
Feds: Accounts of fatal encounter altered
Thomas Clouse
The Spokesman-Review

Tags: Assistant Chief Jim Nicks Assistant U.S. Attorney Tim Durkin cover up Karl F. Thompson Jr. Mark Burbridge Otto Zehm Terry Ferguson

Otto Zehm

Allegations of a cover-up by Spokane police officers over their handling of the fatal Otto Zehm confrontation and the department's 2006 investigation of the case are being presented to a federal grand jury.

In the ongoing obstruction-of-justice probe by the U.S. attorney's office and the FBI, indications are that some Spokane police officers, including Assistant Chief Jim Nicks and lead detective Terry Ferguson, now acknowledge that the city's earlier characterizations of the fatal encounter were wrong and that its investigation clearing officers of wrongdoing was incomplete and inaccurate. Federal documents filed this week in U.S. District Court also suggest Spokane police altered witness statements to appear more favorable to the first responding officers.

"The United States . anticipates Det. Ferguson will testify that there were many glaring missteps and omissions during the course of the SPD's 'independent investigation,' " Assistant U.S. Attorney Tim Durkin wrote in a 74-page filing Tuesday.

The document does not name any officers but indicates that "one or more" of those named in the $2.9 million civil suit are being investigated for potentially obstructing justice. That list includes Nicks, Ferguson, and Officers Steven Braun, Zack Dahle, Erin Raleigh, Dan Torok, Ron Voeller and Jason Uberuaga.

Currently, only Officer Karl Thompson faces felony charges of using excessive force and lying to investigators following the March 18, 2006, confrontation with Zehm, who was struck with a police baton multiple times and jolted with a Taser. The 36-year-old mentally ill janitor, who was mistakenly identified as a crime suspect, stopped breathing while he was hog-tied with a mask on his face. He died two days later.

Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick, who has issued a departmentwide gag order regarding the Zehm investigation, said she was unaware of the depth of Durkin's allegations.

"This is the first I have heard of this kind of detail," Kirkpatrick said. "I don't know what to say. At this point, they are allegations and that's why it has to be aired in a court of law for putting facts in context. That's where issues of truth will hopefully be determined."

The disclosures indicate that Nicks, who served as interim chief before Kirkpatrick was hired in September 2006, now believes Thompson's handling of the Zehm confrontation was improper.

That's substantially different from what Nicks publicly stated for months after the confrontation. He claimed repeatedly that Thompson did nothing wrong and blamed Zehm for lunging at Thompson as he responded to an erroneous report that Zehm had stolen money from a nearby ATM.

Durkin wrote in court documents that Nicks now has told a different story to federal investigators and is expected to testify in the criminal trial, set for June 2, that Thompson used excessive force and that Thompson's statements to investigators were "materially inaccurate." Convenience store video also shows that Zehm never lunged at the officer.

In addition, Durkin wrote that Ferguson, who led the investigation into Zehm's death, has acknowledged that her investigation was "inaccurate" when she wrote to Spokane County prosecutors that she didn't find "any evidence" of excessive force by Thompson.

The court records also describe how Ferguson and Detective Mark Burbridge either changed or omitted statements by witnesses that indicated that Thompson struck Zehm's head with a police baton, which would have constituted illegal lethal force.

In one case, the detectives attempted to "discredit" one witness who gave a television interview describing how she saw Thompson strike Zehm in the head with the baton - something Thompson has repeatedly denied.

"They decided, before the interview, that they would try to discredit her," Durkin wrote of Ferguson and Burbridge. "The Detectives felt that the witness had an anti-law enforcement bias."

But the detectives proceeded differently with those witnesses "that are felt to be law enforcement friendly," Durkin wrote. When federal investigators showed the witnesses how detectives summarized their accounts of the confrontation, most said information was left out and that the summaries should be changed to more accurately reflect what they saw.

"The revisions are more incriminating of defendant Officer Thompson's use of force than is contained in Burbridge's summaries," Durkin wrote.

When federal investigators asked Burbridge for the notes from his witness interviews, he told them they had been destroyed.

Federal agents also interviewed Uberuaga, who is a certified defensive tactics instructor and one of the seven officers who responded to the convenience store that night.

Uberuaga gave federal agents two signed or recorded statements that Thompson's "use of force was unreasonable and excessive."

Uberuaga wanted to change his statements "upon further reflection and consultation" with Assistant City Attorney Rocky Treppiedi. But Uberuaga is expected to testify that Thompson's recorded statement describing Zehm as aggressive and threatening with a pop bottle "was inaccurate in comparison to the security store video."

Testimony before the grand jury will continue next week. Gary Graham, editor of The Spokesman-Review, received a federal subpoena requesting any information identifying a reader who posted two comments on the newspaper's Web site in March about the Zehm case.

The postings, made under the name "CharlesBillford," detailed an alleged encounter between Sgt. Torok and his attorney, who was "yelling at (Torok) for lying to the grand jury." Torok's attorney, Rob Cossey, did not return a message seeking comment Wednesday.

The newspaper requires only e-mail addresses from readers who leave comments on its Web site. That information, along with the user's Internet Protocol address, was turned over to federal authorities.

Spokesman-Review attorney Duane Swinton said that the newspaper Web site policy clearly indicates that the company "may have to divulge the IP addresses and other identity information upon receipt of legal process."

Multiple efforts to reach Thompson's attorney, Carl Oreskovich, were unsuccessful Wednesday.