[Vision2020] Legalizing Medical Marijuana

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Apr 8 07:27:01 PDT 2010

I agree that the time for legalizing medical marijuana is long overdue.  It is difficult to understand the non-emotive part of opposition to this.  Cocaine, heroin, etc have long (read: centuries) been used in medicine.  Many of the really potent prescription pain killers available today are synthetic opium derivatives, and much more expensive, addictive, and with dangerous side effects than marijuana.

Under the right conditions, I'd support generally legalizing marijuana also.  I wonder also if legalizing it would reduce the over consumption of alcohol and its consequences for some people.

Here is another consideration.

"No man is an island."  -- John Donne.

This is a poetic way of stating what we have now came to realize with advancing knowledge:  Everything every person does affects the world and others in it.  Most of these effects are small, almost immeasurable, but some are not, especially cumulatively.

Meth use is one with horrible/tragic consequences for almost all that venture there.  It also has tragic/horrible consequences for the user's children, friends, family, employers, etc.  The amount of harm that comes into the world from meth use is egregiously more than marijuana use.  Hence, the amount of resources spent combating meth use/manufacture/distribution ought be much, much more than that used to combat marijuana use.

I believe that alcohol abuse is a much more serious problem than marijuana use.  When I lived in Boundary County, I knew a great number of people who used marijuana, and many, many people who abused alcohol.  Seldom did the marijuana users end up in court resulting in actions from their marijuana use, but according to the two magistrate judges who I knew well, about 75% of their time spent in criminal matters concerned cases where excessive alcohol use was a factor, about half of these were repeat offenders whose previous offenses were ones where alcohol was a factor.

The arrests and some times the actual behavior that resulted in the arrests from alcohol related offenses in Boundary County were sometimes videotaped.  Along with the magistrate judges and many law enforcement personnel, We wondered/discussed what the effect would be of continuously broadcasting these tapes on local access TV.

In light of Donne's observation, ought we not spend resources, including creative thinking about prevention and deterrence, combating problems in proportion to the harm they cause?

W.