[Vision2020] Undermining Science

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 5 21:57:21 PDT 2010

Look, I'm sorry that some nutcases on the far right have latched onto
"climate denial" in order to further their political agendas.  However,
there are valid reasons for doubting the validity of the current
anthropogenic climate change hysteria, and they don't involve attacking
the Institution of Science.

For example, the question of feedbacks.  Without feedback, positive or
negative, a doubling of CO2 from pre-industrial times will raise the
temperature about 1.2C, from what I've read.  I've seen numbers as high
as 1.8C, and a bit lower than 1C.  This is far lower than the 5C I've
seen reported elsewhere.  To get the larger numbers, you need positive
feedbacks.  Positive feedbacks are processes that spiral out of control
once you've pushed them past equilibrium.  The classic example is a ball
resting on top of a hill.  Give it a small push, and it will start to
roll, accelerating all the while.  The theory goes that CO2 increases
will spiral out of control, causing the temperature to continue to rise
until some other unknown process stops it, if at all.

The problem with this is that CO2 has been at far higher concentrations
than it is currently.  In the past, without SUVs to drive climate, CO2
would lag behind temperature changes by a few centuries.  Temperature
changes caused by Who Knows What.  According to the AGW hypothesis,
though, once CO2 rose high enough it should have been affected by
positive feedback and the temperature should have continued to go up
until it spiraled out of control.  It didn't appear to do that, however,
so it seems safe to say that either the feedbacks aren't positive, or
they are positive but short-lived.  Either way, there seems to be little
reason to believe that the world will turn into a duplicate of Venus
with it's 800F temperatures and 96% carbon dioxide atmosphere.

Another point that I don't see stressed by AGW proponents is that CO2
temperature increases are a diminishing return, it's logarithmic.
There's an upper limit to what CO2 can do temperature-wise, at least if
you only look at the radiative component.  It's similar to covering a
window with shades.  The first one stops a lot of light, the next one a
bit more.  Eventually, it won't matter how many shades you tack up over
the window, it won't get appreciably darker in the room.  CO2 covers a
certain range of the infrared spectrum, and won't stop the other parts
no matter how much you put in the air.  Look into the Beer-Lambert law
to see why it's logarithmic.

The anthropogenic global climate change hypothesis, or whatever they are
calling it these days, is not a slam-dunk.  There is room there for
error.  It's not the same as denying that millions of people are dying
of lung cancer as a fluke and are only by coincidence tobacco-users.

And I'm STILL waiting for my check from Exxon-Mobil.

Paul