[Vision2020] Sine Die Newsletter

Rep. Tom Trail ttrail at moscow.com
Sun Apr 4 20:10:33 PDT 2010

SINE DIE NEWSLETTER

Constituents:

I'll be outlining some of the major
legislation that represented the good, the bad, and the ugly of the recent
Idaho Legislative Session.

 1.  Stimulus
Funds  --  many constituents have asked about
the impact of stimulus funds in Idaho.   The Governor's Office reported to me that $145
million was used for eight major highway projects.  Since contracts came in under bid
by $45 million  --  these savings were used for eight
other projects.  The funds
created about 2,100 jobs. The Community Action Program in Region 2
received a major grant for weatherization programs.  About 150 jobs were created
through this effort.

 2.
Budgets  --  The state had to figure out how to
live within its means.  Tax
revenues are down by almost $600 million compared to the 2006-07
period.    The K-12 and Higher
Education's budgets are down by 7.5%  and 22% in the past two years.  About $135 million in Medicaid bills will remain unpaid
until after July 1st.  Some
school districts will ask voters for emergency property tax
increases.  The Moscow School
District will lose about $1.3 million in state funding this year.  This means a loss of teacher and
staff positions, larger classes, and a decrease in essential resources for
students.  If the Governor and
legislative leaders think that Idaho is attractive to out-of-state
businesses then they should also consider that these same corporations
look very closely at the viability and strength of the state's educational
system.

 3.
Taxes-tax increases stayed off the table as well as tax
cuts.  The Governor
has instructed his staff to look at the pros and cons of repealing the
state's $1.75 billion in sales tax breaks.  Budget reserves are depleted and the sales tax
structure continues to look weak.
Tax exemptions could be one of the major issues for the next
session.  Internet taxes were
off the table this session.
It amazes me that some legislators fear to even look at joining a
multi-state pact that would help Idaho collect taxes on Internet
sales.  This would help Idaho
merchants compete with on line retailers.  In a more positive mode, JFAC did authorize the hiring
of more tax auditors to go after those not paying an estimated $200
million in taxes.  The return
on hiring these auditors is generally a 1-10 return.

 4.
Idaho Parks will stay open.  We were pleased that Dvorshak State Park will stay
open.  The future of the Parks
system still remains in doubt.

 5.  PERSI 1%
COLA  --  The House voted the 1% COLA for
retirees down, but the Senate refused to hear the bill.  Therefore, PERSI retirees enjoy a
bit of a brighter future.  I
thought the Legislature was trying some micro management in going against
the PERSI Board who has managed one of the top funds of its type in the
U.S.  Many other states have
their pension funds in critical condition - the State of Illinois, for
example,  has borrowed more
that $50 million from the state pension fund, so we must be ever vigilant.

 6.
The Governor wanted to eliminate a number of small
agencies.  The Human
Rights Commission will now be housed with the Department of Labor.  Idaho Public Television only
suffered a relatively small cut.
Other smaller agencies were cut back but not as much as the
Governor proposed.

 7.
Broadband
--  Legislators agreed
to keep the Idaho Education Network moving ahead by spending $3 million
from the Albertson Foundation.
The IEN appears to be delivering quality education programs to
students around the state.
Control of the IEN is now in the hand of the Superintendent of
Public Instruction.

 8.
Texting
--  at the
last minute a compromise solution to cracking down on texting failed.   Many constituents
communicated to me that the use of cell phones while driving should be
banned.

 9.
Conscience Bill
--  lawmakers
approved the bill.  Their goal
is to allow health care professionals the freedom to follow their
conscience.  It may, however,
have the impact of restricting patients' access to legally and
constitutionally protected services.

10.
Voter ID
--  although
the Secretary of State reported there is no documented voter fraud in
Idaho, the Legislature in its wisdom passed legislation that will now
require voters to show official photo ID when they vote.  Absentee voters will not be
impacted by the bill.

11.  A
number of major initiatives failed to find traction during the
session.  These
included legislation including animal cruelty, bike safety, urban renewal
issues, and immigration.

12.
Idaho Soil Conservation
--  HB576
passed.  The ISCC will now be
reorganized and held more accountable.  As sponsor of major legislation regarding security
breaches and protection of citizen personal data and information when
handled by state employees, I was pleased to see the legislation pass
without a negative vote.

     These are some of the legislative
highlights.   Many of you
can breathe a sigh of
relief.  As Mark Twain once
said, "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the
legislature is in session."
I always appreciate your comments and suggestions.

My e mail is
ttrail at moscow.com

Rep. Tom Trail