[Vision2020] North Latah County Highway District sign policy

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Tue Sep 29 08:32:58 PDT 2009

dan,

I don't have the "need for speed", what I do have is a need for trust
in government and the knowledge that what they are doing is in
compliance with the laws of the State of Idaho.

What I am asking is for a list of the signs that have been put up by
the highway district that are not in compliance with state law. How
does the motoring public know which signs are real, legitimate and
enforceable, and which ones are merely advisory. For the highway
district to flaunt the state laws / regulations is just as bad as the
speed demons that  flaunt the state laws and regulations regarding how
fast they can go.

I will take my concerns to "our lawmakers on their way to Boise" to
have the Attorney General's Office look into highway districts that
are flaunting the laws and regulations  and posting bogus speed
limits. Shirley, I know you look in on the Vision 2020 site and hope
you look into this one.  We have to be able to trust government, be it
municipal, state, or even highway district. Clearly, by their own
admission, we can't even believe speed limit signs. This is an example
where the Legislature has spoken, the highway district doesn't like
the decision that the Legislature has made, so it ignores it and does
what it damn well pleases.  While it appears on the surface to be just
a matter of  speed limit signs, it actually goes much farther than
that.  Getting a "speeding ticket" for going faster than the posted
speed limit costs time and money, Here we have a situation where law
enforcement will intrude upon a citizen under the pretext that they
have broken the speeding laws, when in fact, the citizen has done
nothing wrong, but the highway district has by posting bogus signs.

In a reply to the story of the bogus signs being posted  on KHQ -Q6
was this response:

"My stepson was run over by a grain truck on his 10th birthday on one
of those Latah County roads. The driver admitted he was going 45mph.
He was not sighted for speedig because of this exact issue."

Now, if the ten year old was aware that the road he was on was in fact
a 55 mph road rather than a bogus posted 35, maybe he would have been
much more aware of the actual risks involved and would have been much
more cautious.  Do I blame the truck driver, NO! I blame the highway
district for posting the bogus speed limits that the 10 year old
relied upon, HE trusted that the signs posted were real, and I
strongly would encourage the parents of the boy to bring suit against
the highway district.

WMP