[Vision2020] Health Insurance is NOT Health Care

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 15:36:57 PDT 2009

Dear Democratic Friends,

I am considered a liberal Democrat by most accounts. Maybe more of a Libertarian Democrat by my definition; I voted for Obama. I was an Idaho State Delegate for Gore in 2000 and an alternative Idaho State Delegate in 2004 for Dennis Kucinich. But I am adamantly opposed to Obama’s Health Insurance Plan, which is unfair to the poor, and to the taxpayer. But most importantly, it will do nothing to improve the quality or quantity of health care to citizens of this country.

Please, don’t get me wrong! My work in the medical field and personal life experiences tell me that the Government Run Hospitals can be just as equally incompetently/competently function as the private ones.  If the government said,       “Donovan, we are going to take 5-10% of your income and provide you with quality health care,”
 I would be consenting. But that IS NOT what the government is attempting to accomplish here, nor will it if Obama’s plan is successful. But here is what will happen if it does;

First, if I lose my job after 4 months of work in the year, I will go broke.. Obama will force me to buy insurance, which consequentially will be about $300 a month if I lose my job (those offered COBRA, know what I mean first hand). His promise to help the poor, (those making less than $930 a month) won’t apply to me because after 4 months of work, I will be over $10,500 income mark to receive government assistance with insurance costs.  Who can afford $300 a month on $10,500 a year? Obama thinks everyone can.

Health care is about receiving proper medical services. Insurance companies are about making a profit through the collection of payments. The goal of insurance companies is to make sure that you don’t use your insurance; otherwise they won’t make a profit.

Second, one way to pay for part of this horrible plan, Obama is going to be making cuts to Medicare. This is horrible. The one thing we know for sure that does work, we are going to cut up and rearrange the pieces.  Medicare patients already face great discrimination as it is because doctors, clinics, and health care provides often take losses because Medicare doesn’t pay as well as private insurance. The only thing I like about a bill that destroys Medicare is that it will motivate the over 55 crowd, a huge chunk of the electorate, to voice opposition against it.

Next, it would provide free medical care to anyone that could crawl, climb, walk, roll or drive, legally or illegally, into the United States.  To say that we are not going to provide medical care to people until they produce certain documentation is illegal to do (not to mention unethical). Anything that is provided to the general public will also have to be provided to anyone in the country legally of illegally. The courts have already ruled on this, it doesn’t have to be in a bill. This will undoubtedly result in more debt for the nation, as well as invite those unfit and in ill health to attempt illegal border crossings across dangerous terrain to obtain free health care for themselves or their children.

Another aspect of this bill will be an increase in your insurance premiums. If everyone regardless of illness, injury, or ailment, is allowed into your insurance co-op, then there will be more medical costs, and more costs handed to you. The only way insurance companies could absorb those costs would be to raise your premiums and deductibles.

The last major impact you would experience is a decrease in the quality of life among the poor because health insurance is not health care. Obama tries to liken the requirement of buying health insurance to that of buying automobile insurance. His analogy breaks down because we don’t require people to buy insurance if they cannot afford the car. We give them the option of walking, riding a bike, taking a bus, a cab, or train, or riding with a friend of family member.  No such option exists for alternatives to health insurance.

Health insurance doesn’t offer people health care, anymore than Auto Insurance offers people quality car care. It simply gives people coverage “in case” something happens and they don’t want to lose everything they own. In poor peoples’ cases, they don’t own anything to lose. Forcing them to buy coverage is pointless when the insurance companies require a deductable or premium so high they cannot use the insurance unless they suffer a catastrophic illness or injury, in which case they would be declaring bankruptcy anyway.

Requiring a person who makes less than $20,000 a year, or a family less than $36,000 a year to buy a $3500-$6000 deductable insurance plan, or to pay premiums of $100-$350 a month only serves to worsen the living conditions of those families and individuals. $100-$350 a month makes a big difference in the lives of low income peoples. Having $3500-$6000 is also more of a dream than a reality for most low income families. Let them, please, Mr. President, keep their $100. Don’t pry it from their impoverished hands and give it to the wealthy insurance companies. Let them eat. Yes, I do understand the argument that people should pay into the health care system. But poor people don’t have the means. You cannot get blood from stone..

If you want to reform our health care system, I am for this. I think our system of charging for each service provided, each band-aid, each mile in an ambulance, each bed pan change, makes fraud easy to accomplish and gets away from the focus of the necessity, quality and affordability of care. Forcing people to pay into a system that charges $50 for application of a band-aid is not where we should start, but rather questioning why application of a band-aid is $50.

Your Frustrated Friend,

Donovan Arnold
(Yes, the real one, not someone using my name or an old account as some people on the V enjoy doing)