[Vision2020] A Dilemma

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 14:40:34 PDT 2009

On the contrary, I find this interesting, and think that regardless of a
person's Weltanschuang, having a correct understanding of world religions is
a very important aspect of education that everyone should pursue.  In fact,
I think world religion classes should be taught in all high schools (without
advocacy, of course), that explore the beliefs and practices of all major
religions, and even minor ones, if anyone in the high school in question
happens to follow that belief system.

Religion is a source of far too much hatred, war, violence, prejudice and
discrimination, as we all know.  Having a correct understanding of religions
can help to ameliorate some of the Pavlovian negative responses that are all
too common when someone is dealing with those who follow a religion that
might seem "alien"  Having said that, of course there will be disagreements
between religions that cannot be easily ameliorated by education, but will
result in power struggles and even violence.  No matter how much I might
attempt to understand the theology of the Taliban, this would not negate my
rejection of some of their practices, though I doubt the war in Afghanistan
against them is the correct approach.  If they harbor terrorists, go after
the terrorists, but waging war against their whole way of life and beliefs,
may not succeed in the long run.
Ted Moffett