[Vision2020] President Obama Will Deliver Opening Speech: UN High Level Summit on Climate Change, Sept. 22, 2009

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 12:32:27 PDT 2009

 http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2009/20090904_wcc3closing.html Closing
Statement from World Climate Conference-3 Dr. Jane Lubchenco, Head of the
United States Delegation

September 4, 2009

Improving development and delivery of climate services offers untold
economic, environmental, human health, and national security benefits.  For
these reasons, the U.S. delegation is very pleased with the outcome of this
conference, and its decision to establish a Global Framework for Climate
Services.

Today, user demands for climate information are increasing rapidly.
Decision-makers at all levels of government, business leaders, civil society
and individual citizens are asking how they can best prepare their
communities, businesses or lives for the impacts of climate change.

Lives, prosperity and social stability are at stake.

We must now seize the opportunity to use the science-based information about
climate change and variability and translate it into meaningful information
that can be used to inform critical decisions.
That the United States was both a sponsor and participant in this conference
reflects President Obama’s strong commitment to addressing climate change.
Climate change is a shared challenge.  The declaration agreed to here unites
all countries in recognizing the need for climate services.

As we head into Copenhagen we are heartened by the spirit of cooperation and
commitment. The United States is working actively toward a successful
agreement through ambitious domestic actions and international cooperation.
This morning’s announcement that President Obama will deliver an opening
speech at the UN High Level Summit on Climate Change in New York later this
month further demonstrates our country’s commitment to tackling this issue.