[Vision2020] U.S. Schools Shine

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sat Oct 31 13:11:40 PDT 2009

Courtesy of the Letters section of today's (October 31, 2009) Spokesman
Review with a special thanks to Donald Orlich of Pullman.

U.S. schools shine

It may have escaped notice, but American students did a lot better than
Cal Thomas’ eulogy (Oct. 27).

In 1992, the National Science Foundation compared the achievement of
13-year-old mathematics students in the U.S. with performance
internationally. Taiwan was tops, followed by Iowa, South Korea, North
Dakota and Minnesota. Twelve of the top 20 were U.S. states – including
Idaho.

A 1998 report, issued by the National Center for Educational Statistics
that compared 13-year-old science students in individual states against
each other and other nations, showed U.S. states would hold 14 of the top
15 places in the world. Washington’s kids placed fifth in the world.

A most laudatory note was brought home in a July 2001 announcement by The
College Board News. American students in physics and calculus, who scored
well on Advanced Placement exams, went on to outperform students in the
rest of the world. It showed dramatically that our best are clearly “at
the top of the world in academic achievement,” stated Lee Jones, the
executive director of the College Board’s Advanced Placement Program.
Indeed, Advanced Placement courses definitely illustrate that highly
effective instruction is taking place in our high schools.

Donald C. Orlich
Pullman

Congrats to our students, coupled with a heart-felt thanks to their teachers.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown