[Vision2020] Mayoral race

roger hayes rhayes at turbonet.com
Sat Oct 31 12:14:14 PDT 2009

Hello,

Wednesday's Daily News Letter to the Editor section included a very
disturbing piece from Ray Peterson who was stumping for John Weber as
Moscow mayor. In that letter he stated that "If the proposed mall (the
Hawkins proposal and debacle) across the border is built, the city has
the chance of losing even more businesses." Earlier he brought up
losing two auto dealerships, one that moved across the state line. He
finally attributed these losses to Mayor Chaney by saying, "All of this
happened on Mayor Nancy Chaney's watch.
Here's the kicker. Toyota moved to Washington and immediately
councilman Krause (another Weber supporter) joined their staff. It is
also in our best interest to recall that councilman Walter Steed
secretly met with the Hawkins people in Spokane (far from the prying
eyes of Moscow's citizens) and negotiated a water/sewer agreement with
them. This can only be interpreted as an incentive for the development.
John Weber rubber stamped this action and supported Steed's initiatives.
Now we have certain individuals blaming Mayor Chaney for the bumbling
actions of the Moscow city council cabal of Steed and Weber. Recall
that the Mayor, in no uncertain terms, opposed the Hawkins incentives.
Where will this chicanery end? Certainly we must reelect Nancy Chaney
who will not only speak truth to our fair city, but represent the
citizenry, not special interests who are out for personal profit.

Sincerely,
Roger Hayes
Moscow