[Vision2020] Tesla Sets Record: Electric Car Single Charge: 311 Miles

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 04:07:31 PDT 2009

http://www.businessweek.com/investing/green_business/archives/2009/10/tesla_sets_dist.html

Tesla sets distance record for electric car on a single charge

Posted by: Adam Aston on October 30

As part of the 2009 Global Green
Challenge<http://www.globalgreenchallenge.com.au/>,
a driving duo has set a new distance record by going 311
miles<http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/159181,tesla-breaks-land-record-for-electric-car-on-a-single-charge.aspx>on
a single charge in a Tesla battery-powered car. That’s nearly 30%
farther
than the vehicle’s official specs.

Drivers Simon Hackett and Emilis Prelgauskas aren’t your everyday drivers.
They set the record in Australia as part of the Eco Challenge, an 1,860-mile
green car contest that includes vehicles powered by a variety of green
fuels, from commercial diesel and hybrids cars to exotic solar-powered
buggies built specifically for the
race<http://www.businessweek.com/investing/green_business/archives/2009/10/”http://www.globalgreenchallenge.com.au/participants/eco-challenge/2009-participants/index.html”>.
Hackett and Prelgauskas told PC
Authority<http://www.businessweek.com/investing/green_business/archives/2009/10/”http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/159181,tesla-breaks-land-record-for-electric-car-on-a-single-charge.aspx”>that
they kept the car at a constant, fairly low speed, averaging around 34
mph, to squeeze the most distance from the car’s 6,800 lithium battery
cells.

Last week, I caught up with Martin Eberhard, co-founder and former CEO of
Tesla Motors. At a manufacturing conference sponsored by Siemens in
Minneapolis, Minn., Eberhard talked about the challenges of bringing Tesla
from concept to showroom. Check out our chat below: