[Vision2020] The Crisis in Idaho Higher Education

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2008 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 14:55:27 PDT 2009

I think the crisis in education is that education doesn't prepare you for the real world or give you skills needed for the current job market. The current education system prepares you for the world of 1810, not 2010.

The reason the education fees keep going up is the University keeps asking for them to be raised and the legislature votes to do so it can cut state funding to the University and give the money to their pet projects and tax cuts to business interests represented by lobbyists in Boise. Or in Richie Risch's case, tax cuts to himself.

Education needs to stop trying to be all things to all students. The University spends too much money on housing, food, recreation, athletics, medical, fancy technology, unneeded buildings, outreach, and social arts degrees that have no jobs in the marketplace. It needs to spend more on skills needed in the current workplace.

It also needs to redo how it does financial aid. It should award financial aid based on the demand for the degree. It should also change the way it collects student loans, with a simple 15% of disposable income for 15 years of employment after the first five. Graduating students don't make enough their first five years out of college, and have a difficult time making ends meet.

Donovan Arnold