[Vision2020] Mark Your Calendars, V-Peeps!

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Oct 20 09:29:38 PDT 2009

The University of Idaho Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival presents . . .

Friday, February 26th

"Jazz is
Blues and Sacred Roots," sponsored by Pepsi, features Dee Daniels
and the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival Gospel Choir. For more than three
decades, Daniels has dominated the jazz and symphony pops vocal scene with
her rich background in blues and gospel music. The night also will feature
Cyrus Chestnut on the piano, and the Taj Mahal Trio. The Grammy-award
winning Taj Mahal Trio began more than four decades ago with American
blues, but has broadened to include music representing nearly every corner
of the world. This evening celebrates the origins of African-American
spirituals, gospel music and the blues, from which jazz is nourished.

---------------

YES!  The Taj Mahal Trio . . .

"The Blues is Alright"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9IXGWuoQs0

"I'm Gonna Move Up to the Country and Paint My Mailbox Blue"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFeOE5JD7fg

And a personal favorite from Taj Mahal (although it's been done by
virtually every blues combo) . . .

"Bright Lights, Big City"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mHVCtgOWKc

Seeya there, Moscow.

"I found her number, and the note she wrote
Deep in the pocket, of a real old coat
It just got by me some way
I'm having a real bad day

I'll fix you something, I'm sure your gonna love
but we don't have to, we don't have to eat at all
that's one of the problems, of life on the road
little notes like this ain't got no area code."

- Taj Mahal from "Having a Real Bad Day"