[Vision2020] "The Planet" Documentary On LinkTV Tonight 8 PM: 375 DirectTV, 9410 Dish Network

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 10:11:33 PDT 2009

This is one of the best, if not the best, Earth System Science documentaries
I have seen.  Tonight at 8 PM LinkTV is showing the episode "Choices and
Consequences" from the four part version of "The Planet."  LinkTV is running
this documentary to also do fund raising:

http://www.linktv.org/programs/special_planet4

>From website above:
**
*The Planet*

This outstanding documentary series outlines the challenges faced by
humanity in the grip of global environmental change, making a strong case
for mankind's own contribution to this life threatening problem. Not limited
to climate change, *The Planet* examines global changes brought about by
overpopulation, the destruction of plants and animals, levels of
consumption, growing economies and industrialized farming. Swedish
filmmakers Michael Stenberg, Linus Torell, Johan Söderberg take this serious
material to the next level, using unconventional aerial photography,
archived instructional films and a thriving soundtrack to bring a scientific
subject into the realm of artistic, contemporary documentary. Environmental
experts interviewed for the series include Pulitzer Prize and National Medal
of Science winner Jared Diamond ("Guns, Germs and Steel"), author and
Stanford professor Gretchen Daily, Herman Daly, Will Steffen, George
Monbiot, Norman Myers and Lester Brown.

*Part 4: Choices and Consequences*
*
*The final episode of *The Planet *hypothesizes about the future, and what
we can do to stop the pending disaster that will come with drastic global
change. Many people still believe that the earth is just going through a
phase, unaffected by our actions. But in reality, time is running out.

What might the future look like? Star Trek – where technology is used to
make nature obsolete? A Mad Max-like struggle for survival? An ecotopia,
where we scale down our individual environmental footprints? Or a new kind
of world, where a global government sets the regulations? Change is around
the corner, one way or another, and how we act now will dictate what life is
like in the future, both for us and for our children.