[Vision2020] RealClimate.org, 10/6/2009: Climate Change Slowing or Stopping?: 371 Responses!

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 16:01:56 PDT 2009

Exactly.  What cooling trend?

The point of Stefan Rahmstorf's discussion on RealClimate (
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2009/10/a-warming-pause/#more-1265
)
was to argue that there is no substantial evidence of a "cooling trend" in
global climate.  Perhaps if someone thinks Rahmstorf's analysis flawed, they
can address his points specifically on Vision2020, or dispute them on
RealClimate directly.

I won't repeat the data and arguments again, except to say that the solar
minimum we are now in might contribute to a cooling trend in global climate,
yet there is no solid evidence this is happening; and even if the solar
minimum continues, according to the following analysis from NASA's climate
scientist James Hansen (page 11-14 in the report at the web site below), it
would only offset the positive climate forcing from increasing atmospheric
CO2 levels due to human sourced emissions by less than a decade.  Hansen
presented this detailed analysis of the arguments regarding solar impacts on
climate in part because it's a major talking point among anthropogenic
climate change skeptics:

http://www.columbia.edu/~jeh1/mailings/2008/20080804_TripReport.pdf

>From page 14:

"Thus if the sun remains "out", i. e., stuck for a long period in the
current solar minimum, it can only offset about 7 years of CO2 increase."

And in the same paragraph:

"Speculation that we may have entered a solar-driven long-term cooling trend
must be dismissed as a pipe-dream."
Regarding IPCC temperature predictions for this century, they allow for a
number of scenarios, which differ widely in temperature increases:

http://www.ipcc.ch/

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett