[Vision2020] WSU Football Commentary

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sun Oct 11 13:04:13 PDT 2009

October 11, 2009 in Sports
Cougars need Akey
/ The Spokesman-Review

As a longtime Cougars fan, I felt it was time for my first assessment of the way things are going.

WSU blew it when it let Robb Akey get away. Look what he has done with Idaho football in two years, and then look at what Paul Wulff has done to WSU in his two years. Idaho, second in conference; Cougars, 10th.

Paul, the eternal optimist, still doesn't have the "no-huddle" offense off the ground. Robb Akey uses it for the first time against Colorado State and comes from down 20-7 to beat the Rams 24-20.

Wulff should be coaching volleyball and get rid of those "rose-colored" glasses he whips out every Monday to tell us "there were positives in the game; something to build on."

If you can't dig out of a hole, you aren't going to build anything. WSU is too tall for Paul.

Safety tip: If you want to keep Cougars out of your yard, just put up goal posts instead of a fence. Problem solved. (Go, Wulff - anywhere.)

Ed Hollow

Spokane

October 11, 2009 in Sports
On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being . . .
John Blanchette

PULLMAN - They launched what they call the "10/10/10 Initiative" this week at Washington State University.

It's the school's mission to increase its athletic foundation membership to 10,000 by Oct. 10, 2010. That's actually 10/10/10/10, but who's counting?

Meanwhile, the football program continues with its own 10/10/10 initiative.

First-and-10, second-and-10, third-and-10.

Yes, the latest Cougar defeat - 27-14 to Arizona State, in front of the smallest homecoming crowd at Martin Stadium in 18 years - looked more respect- able, but really wasn't any such thing. So the jokes come easy.

And they should. For letting the program lapse into such a state is a shame on the school's leadership both past and current, and cream pies to the kisser are more than in order. And while the new football regime is working overtime on the restoration and coach Paul Wulff is unwavering in his vision for the long term, it is just as true that since the athletic department isn't offering refunds, there is a responsibility to the current customers to put a reasonable facsimile of college football on display.

But when do you finally acknowledge that it can't be done - not right now?

Spot an opponent a 10-0 lead after 10 plays, cede a receiver 10 acres of cushion, have viewers/listeners flipping the dial after 10 minutes .

There was some wishful sentiment out in Cougworld that this had the makings of a happy homecoming, based mostly on ASU's desultory effort against Oregon State last week and the struggles of quarterback Danny Sullivan. And though the defense is considerably better, it had managed just three sacks through four games - so maybe WSU freshman quarterback Jeff Tuel might get out of duck-and-cover mode.

Then came kickoff, and the day's biggest shocker: the Cougs forced six turnovers.

And still had no chance.

Because while there are a few promising young faces out there, what little experience and depth the Cougars had in their two lines are simply gone. And what's left is low-hanging fruit for the pickers in the Pac-10.

No one wants to hear this. Injuries are an "excuse," because every team has them. Inexperience is an "alibi," because everyone's on scholarship.

Kids? Heck, just coach 'em up.

See No. 10 get sacked 10 times, take losses on 10 running plays, punt 10 times.

But eventually the evidence is too overwhelming, just as WSU's personnel travails have become. On Saturday, 14 players who have either started or were expected to were unavailable; two more, Daniel Simmons and Brian Danaher, joined the list for the next game.

In the meantime, eight freshmen were in the starting lineup, five between the two lines. Eight more saw action. This doesn't even include the day's big-play find, receiver Johnny Forzani, a junior in eligibility but as football green as the average high school sophomore.

Arizona State started one freshman.

The results were frightful. Tuel and his relief, Marshall Lobbestael, were sacked 12 times, probably a school record if records were kept on most flies de-winged. Through their first four possessions, the Cougars surrendered four sacks, were penalized four times, intercepted twice and had four minus rushing plays. On the day, 39 Cougar snaps went for zero or negative yardage.

"The kids played hard," said Wulff, "but we played young and not very aggressive."

Lack of aggression can be a sign of youthful uncertainty - or of mixed signals. It didn't help late in the first half, for instance, when the Cougs were ordered into a passive defense after stopping the Sun Devils the previous four possessions. A 7-0 deficit - can you imagine Wazzu being down only a touchdown at halftime? - quickly became 13-0.

"They were in prevent the whole time and we were able to hit the ball inside to our slots," said ASU coach Dennis Erickson, "and kind of move it down in there without having to throw it deep."

Suffer 10 losses, go 10 years without a bowl game, hope to have 10,000 fans still in the stands after halftime .

Just how overwhelming this is to the 16 freshmen and other rookies seeing time is impossible to gauge, for it involves not just experience but disadvantages in strength and speed and, yes, ability. And yet Forzani, who teamed with Tuel on the 99-yard touchdown pass ("I've been doing so many things wrong it felt good that they gave me a chance to do something right"), insists the kids are "fully capable."

"We have to be," he said. "We have no choice. And if we're not, we have to learn."

The lessons, they're coming by 10s.