[Vision2020] ID Public Records Law: UI

Rosemary donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Tue Oct 6 22:53:52 PDT 2009

Paul,
Thank you for acknowledging that Saundra was not responsible for my
"sneering" remarks. While I may have offended you, your smug little summary
of how well Plan H works for you and how you contribute to an HSA on a
regular basis, did not offend me.  I was struck, however, of how it reeked
with privilege, entitlement, and unearned good luck. I am blessed that I
have excellent insurance and a comfortable, if modest, retirement income
now.  But, let me assure you, I know well the horrendous burden of
catastrophic medical expenses. We spent several years paying off $100,000 in
medical costs for our son Ben when he was diagnosed with Lupus. While our
insurance paid 75% of the costs incurred, 25% were our responsibility - and
there was no catastrophic cap on our out of pocket share.  So, good on you
for not having a chronic illness, splendid for you that you need only take
care of yourself, and please, take a deep bow for being frugal.  Somewhere
in that litany of good luck it is my hope that you will not high five
yourself for your less than noteworthy compassion towards others, who,
through no fault of their own are not as fortunately situated as you are.
Rose