[Vision2020] compromised email accts?

Wayne Price bear at moscow.com
Tue Oct 6 08:08:19 PDT 2009

Picked this up out of the UK Daily Mail:

Hotmail passwords security breach spreads to Gmail and Yahoo!
By KATE LOVEYS and GRAHAM SMITH
Last updated at 3:53 PM on 06th October

The massive security breach that led to millions of Hotmail customers
being advised to change their passwords has now spread to users of
email services including Gmail and Yahoo! Mail.
Up to 21million people and businesses who use the Hotmail service in
the UK were warned they are potentially at risk of being defrauded
after passwords were acquired illegally.
Around 10,000 passwords were obtained by hackers who created a fake
website identical to Hotmail's to fool users into entering their email
address and password in a 'phishing' scam.Now the BBC claims that
another list of over 20,000 email addresses and passwords is
circulating, which contains the details for Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, AOL,
Comcast and Earthlink accounts.The latest list was posted on
Pastebin.com, the same website to which the Hotmail list was
originally uploaded. The site, which is intended for web developers to
share code, has since been taken down for maintenence.Hotmail's list
of users was posted anonymously on to Pastebin.com on October 1.

It is feared that the information could be used by fraudsters to
access email accounts and steal personal information such as credit
card account details.
A spokesman for Google, which runs Gmail, said: 'We recently became
aware of an industry-wide phishing scheme through which hackers gained
user credentials for web-based mail accounts including Gmail account.

Breach: Around 10,000 Hotmail passwords were obtained by hackers using
the same 'phishing' scam that has now spread to other email services
'As soon as we learned of the attack, we forced password resets on the
affected accounts. We will continue to force password resets on
additional accounts when we become aware of them.'
A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: 'We advise people to
take a commonsense approach and change their password. It is early
days but we have yet to receive reports of fraud linked to this breach.'
A Microsoft spokesman added: 'We are aware that some Windows Live
Hotmail customers' credentials were acquired illegally and exposed on
a website.
'Upon learning of the issue, we immediately requested that the
credentials be removed and launched an investigation to determine the
impact to customers.
'We are working diligently to help customers regain control of their
accounts.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218272/Microsoft-Hotmail-accounts-hacked-posted-online.html#ixzz0TAV0apH1

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218272/Microsoft-Hotmail-accounts-hacked-posted-online.html
)