[Vision2020] ID Public Records Law: UI

Rosemary donaldrose at cpcinternet.com
Mon Oct 5 16:13:39 PDT 2009

Hello Paul, Wayne and V2020 readers,

Thank you, Wayne, for your explanation to Paul. You nailed it!  Paul, while
you as a single person with a very comfortable salary are doing well on Plan
H, please consider how you might experience health care on a $20,000
custodial salary with a spouse and child. Plan H, the only remotely
affordable insurance plan, has I believe, a $2200 per family deductible.
(Saundra, correct me if I am wrong about that deductible.) Lets consider a
hypothetical UI employee making 53,000 per year who was assessed 10% of
his/her salary as a front end deductible.  Do you suppose that a $5,300 bill
before health care coverage kicked in might excite a greater interest in the
state-wide group plan shared by other universities?  Further, since the
majority of physicians in this town, particularly the Family Practice docs
and the Doc In A Box Walk-In clinics require payment in full payment at the
time of service the working poor, as many UI employees are, must meet this
meet this outrageously high deductible or pay cash for needed medical care.
Surely, Paul, you don't think that the UI financial wizards changed
insurance plans for the good of UI employees?  BTW, in sharp contrast to the
UI, the universities participating in the statewide insurance pool are
transparent regarding premium costs and benefits. Take a look at those sites
for further information.

Of course we have asked about plan participant numbers, the number of claims
etc.  The university has not responded to our questions.  And, why would
they?  The answers are not going to enhance the reputation of the school or
support their specious claim that the UI cares about their employees in a
meaningful way.  The Wellness Scam (I think the official justification for
that involuntary payroll deduction is that it would lower insurance
premiums) is another UI cash cow. Where are those dollars going?  How are
they being used?  Who knows.  I didn't even receive an acknowledgment, let
alone an answer, to the P.R. request I made two weeks ago regarding that
program.

Just so you are clear about my interest in this issue, Paul.  I don't work
at UI, and I have excellent insurance coverage.  In a sense, I don't have a
dog in this fight, except, I've never been willing to stand by and watch
school yard bullies run the show.

Rosemary Huskey