[Vision2020] MPD Press Release re: Dogs

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 17:29:58 PST 2009

Between October 11 and Nov 8, I had EIGHT encounters with at-large
dogs that could have resulted in blood-spilling injuries to me, my
dog, or a loose dog which just wanted to "play" with mine. So, I went
through the Daily Activity Logs MPD posts online. During the period of
Aug. 16, 2009 (the week before UI classes began) through Nov. 11, 2009
(ninety days), there were 101 complaints involving dogs at-large.
That's an average of 1.12 per day. These incidents include:

      -   8 bites (people or other dogs)
      -   2 attacks
      -   2 postal carriers trapped in their vehicles
      -   9 people threatened
      -   4 at-large dogs injured
      -  30 civilians capturing the dog and asking MPD to pick it up.

This seems to be too many complaints for a community the size of
Moscow. Unfortunately, I suspect the reported incidents are just the
tip of the iceberg. Many people (including myself) do not report dogs
at-large unless there is a major problem such as an attack, a bite, or
a dog hit by a vehicle. Having  101 calls in 90 days shows there are
far too many dogs running free.

I've spoken to far too many people who don't see anything wrong with
allowing their unleashed dog to approach mine when it is on a leash.
After all, their's is friendly and just wants to meet and play. Yet
those masters don't have a clue how the other, leashed dog will react
to their's. They also don't consider that the person at the other end
of the leash is attached to many pounds of low-to-the-ground, four-paw-
drive muscle. Even "play" can injure the person.

Three cheers to the police for this press release.

Kit Craine