[Vision2020] Copyright-was "The new The Saga Continues"

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 10:06:06 PST 2009

Palin made a comment recently that she would not pose for a Newsweek cover
photo in shorts.  This could be interpreted not as a issue of sexism, but
simply that Newsweek was promoting a image of Palin that does not project
the respect that more formal clothing inspires.  Would Newsweek run a photo
on the cover of Secretary of State Clinton in shorts?  The Palin cover photo
is thus suggesting an image of Palin that some might think is not taking her
seriously... Would Newsweek run a cover photo of President Obama in
shorts?This may or may not be sexist, depending on interpretation and/or
intention.   Given current standards of dress common in public, Palin's
running outfit is in fact rather prudish...

Newsweek Editor Jon Meacham quoted below insists they apply a "gender
neutral standard" when questioned about the cover photo of Palin.  Give the
cover posed the question "How do you solve a problem like Sarah?" this slant
on her public image might be more of a problematic issue for Palin than the
running outfit and shorts:

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2009/11/17/is-sarah-palin-newsweek-cover-sexist-palin-says-yes/

*What about that photo? *

As for the use of the photo, Newsweek Editor Jon Meacham defended the
decision<http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/thegaggle/archive/2009/11/17/official-statement-on-newsweek-s-sarah-palin-cover.aspx>saying
it was “the most interesting image available.”

“We apply the same test to photographs of any public figure, male or female:
does the image convey what we are saying? That is a gender-neutral
standard,” he said.
Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett