[Vision2020] And Yet, The Saga Continues . . .

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 13:46:28 PST 2009

Absolute certainty in a belief that if someone does not believe in God,
their "eternal soul" is damned forever, renders the "Millions are Good
without God" message one that might do great harm, for someone who takes
this belief with utmost seriousness and acts accordingly.  From this point
of view, it is not "benignly worded," but suggests that not believing in God
is an acceptable option, when in fact the fate of a persons eternal soul is
in jeopardy, if they take the billboard seriously.

Those who argue that religion is not a primary source of problems in our
world seem to downplay that if someone takes certain rather incredible yet
common religious beliefs seriously, and acts upon them, vandalism, war,
bigotry, etc., become reasonable.  The aggressive tactics of missionaries
(sometimes not calling themselves "missionaries" explicitly) have been and
still are defended given the logic that if unbelievers are not converted,
their eternal souls are lost; extreme measures are reasonable given this
logic.  What is the importance of one human biological lifetime compared to
the future life of an eternal soul?

If I really believed with certainty that those who do not believe in
God would have their eternal soul damned, I might defend vandalizing a
billboard with a message suggesting that not believing in God is
acceptable, as a form of "civil disobedience," a moral duty, even if illegal
and risking penalties from the justice system of the State.

I'm not sure what Thoreau would think about a billboard vandalized due to
religious principles:

>From Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience," available online in total at the
website below:

"Unjust laws exist; shall we be content to obey them, or shall we endeavor
to amend them, and obey them until we have succeeded, or shall we transgress
them at once? Men generally, under such a government as this, think that
they ought to wait until they have persuaded the majority to alter them.
They think that, if they should resist, the remedy would be worse than the
evil. But it is the fault of the government itself that the remedy *is *worse
than the evil. *It* makes it worse. Why is it not more apt to anticipate and
provide for reform? Why does it not cherish its wise minority? Why does it
cry and resist before it is hurt? Why does it not encourage its citizens to
be on the alert to point out its faults, and *do* better than it would have
them?"

*Civil Disobedience - Part 1 of 3*

http://thoreau.eserver.org/civil1.html

Vision2020 Post: Ted Moffett