[Vision2020] UNICEF: Thanks and an update from Asia-Pacific

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 14:19:41 PST 2009

Dear Ted,

[image: © Francia 2009 Philippines
UNICEF]<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/R?i=enAzpTJdQEALp5QKd3woNg..>
*© UNICEF/NYHQ2009-1464/Josh Estey

A girl fills jerrycans at UNICEF's safe water source in Kampung Dalam
Village, one of the areas worst-affected by the earthquakes in Indonesia.*
I want to thank you for being such a strong partner in the wake of the
disasters that swept through Asia-Pacific just over a month ago.

I know you must be wondering how children in the region are coping in the
aftermath of these disasters. I'd like to share just a few of our reports
from the field and let you know what UNICEF is doing to provide those
children with long-term support:

   - In countries hit by the floods and typhoon, *children continue to be at
   high risk from the diseases that thrive in stagnant, contaminated
   floodwaters. As a result, a big part of our work has been focused on
   sanitation and hygiene*. In the Philippines, we are still in emergency
   mode and likely will be for the next few months. We have already distributed
   12,751 hygiene kits and are providing families in evacuation centers with
   much needed supplies.

   - An ongoing problem in all regions is the *lack of access to safe
   drinking water*. In Vietnam, UNICEF has delivered six tons of PuR (water
   purifier sachets), *four million aqua tab tablets to make water potable
   for families*, and 20 tons of chloramines B for cleaning 100,000
   contaminated wells.

   - During these disasters, *thousands of children were lost or separated
   from their families* and UNICEF is working with communities and
   governments to register and protect them. In the Lao People's Democratic
   Republic, we've developed a community-based program to help ensure that the
   20,000 children without parental supervision do not fall victim to abuse.

   - It's crucial that children are able to quickly restart their education
   in the wake of emergencies. With hundreds of schools destroyed, *UNICEF
   is working to establish temporary schools and distribute educational
   materials throughout the affected countries.* In Indonesia, we've
   provided 250 school tents, 60 School-in-a Box kits and 60 recreation kits to
   help nearly 70,000 children return to school. In Cambodia, a number of
   schools are actually still under water. But we're working to facilitate
   education for nearly 36,118 students as soon as possible.

This is just a snapshot of what UNICEF has been doing in all seven
disaster-torn countries throughout Asia-Pacific. As you can imagine, our
amazing field teams have been working non-stop to provide relief and
support.

With more than 3.8 million children affected in the Philippines, Vietnam,
Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia and the Pacific Islands – there is still much work
to be done to help the children and families in these countries recover.

By providing children with crucial supplies as well as the ability to return
to school, we're not only saving lives, but helping children regain a sense
of normalcy after these terrifying disasters. Thank you so much for being a
steadfast partner of the U.S. Fund for UNICEF as we do what ever it takes to
help children in Asia-Pacific.

[image: Caryl M. Stern]

With Warm Regards,

Caryl M. Stern
President & CEO
U.S. Fund for UNICEF

P.S. UNICEF stays on the job long after the news crews leave. After 60 years
of being there for children in crisis after crisis, UNICEF has one of the
most extensive networks for distributing aid, and unparalleled access to
almost every corner of the globe. Help us be there for the next 60 years,
and *support our
work<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/R?i=Shdjypi7C1NTVVdYvZbWIA..>
* for children in Asia-Pacific and elsewhere.

   Copyright © 2009 U.S. Fund for UNICEF. 125 Maiden Lane, New York, NY
10038.
All rights reserved. Privacy
Policy<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/R?i=8UxQepMRxeaAJMNGhkJOHA..>

If you no longer wish to receive email from UNICEF USA, please unsubscribe
here<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/CO?i=k1SJdX7Hzdvxmi5wZft1fQT5bkH2poDP&cid=0>
.

You are currently subscribed to U.S. Fund for UNICEF as "starbliss at gmail.com
."
Update your email preferences or
unsubscribe<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/CO?i=YW-fMHy_Aa37ECeVAVlOnTBw_-6qc9jw&cid=0>
.

If this message was forwarded to you, please join us!
Subscribe<http://inside.unicefusa.org/site/R?i=iU0NBQW8LurOL5KaJ6mKvg..>to
U.S. Fund for UNICEF.