[Vision2020] Health Bill Passes House

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Nov 8 05:33:55 PST 2009

How the locals voted:

Rep Cathy McMorris-Rodgers (R-WA) - Nay
Rep. Walter MInnick (D-ID) - Nay
Rep. MIchael Simpson (R-ID) - Nay

Courtesy of CNN at:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/08/health.care/index.html

With victory in House, health care reform moves to Senate
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
House narrowly passes health care reform bill

Republicans decry bill's passage, saying it will add to country's mounting
debt

Health care debate moves to Senate, which will vote on its version

Washington (CNN) -- The House of Representatives passed a sweeping health
care bill Saturday night with a tight vote of 220-215, making it the
biggest expansion of health care coverage since Medicare was created more
than 40 years ago.

The Affordable Health Care for America Act, or H.R. 3962, restricts
insurance companies from denying coverage to anyone with a pre-existing
condition or charging higher premiums based on gender or medical history.
It also provides federal subsidies to those who cannot afford it and
guarantees coverage for 96 percent of Americans, according to the
nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office.

However, turning the bill into law remains uncertain.

The bill barely squeaked by in the Democrat-controlled House, with just
one Republican voting for it -- first-time lawmaker Joseph Cao who holds a
seat in predominantly Democratic New Orleans.

One hundred and seventy-six Republicans opposed it, as did 39 Democrats.

The Senate must now pass its own version of the health care legislation.

Senate lawmakers are also having a hard time winning over Republicans and
conservative Democrats. It is unclear when the Senate will vote on its
version.

Even if it passes, lawmakers in the House and Senate will have to
reconcile their respective versions into one document and vote again.

President Obama said he was "absolutely confident" the Senate will follow
suit in passing its version of the bill.

"I look forward to signing comprehensive health insurance reform into law
by the end of the year," he said.

With eight seconds left in the voting period, Democrats began counting
down, erupting in roars when House Speaker Nancy Pelosi declared, "The
bill is passed."

Read the House bill (PDF)
http://docs.house.gov/rules/health/111_ahcaa.pdf

Democrat Sheila Jackson-Lee from Texas waved a copy of the bill while her
colleagues pumped their fists.

"Democrats voted for the bill and a Republican voted for the bill. That
equals bipartisan," Pelosi said later.

Republican lawmakers stood silently across the floor, some with their arms
folded across their chest.

"Well, it was about what I thought it would be," said House Republican
Leader John Boehner of Ohio as he quickly exited.

Later, he issued a statement where he said the $1.2 trillion legislation
would add to the country's "skyrocketing" debt. Democrats have said the
bill will cut the deficit by $104 billion over 10 years.

"I came here to renew the American Dream, so my kids and their kids have
the same opportunities I had," Boehner said. "I came here to fight
big-government monstrosities like this bill that dim the light of freedom
and diminish opportunity for future generations."

Michael Steele, the chairman of the Republican National Committee,
released an equally tersely-worded statement.

"Nancy Pelosi and her liberal lieutenants made a lot of promises today to
get the votes they desperately needed," he said. "Make no mistake -- the
Democrat leadership's assurances were based on political expediency, not
principle. Anyone receiving a promise from Pelosi is guaranteed to be
disappointed in the end when their votes are no longer needed."

Earlier in the day, Obama met behind closed doors with Democrats to shore
up support for the bill, calling it a chance of a generation.

In the run-up to the vote, Republicans and conservative Democrats joined
forces to pass an amendment to the bill to prohibit federal funds for
abortion services.

Its consideration was considered a big win for them and the U.S.
Conference of Catholic Bishops, which used its power, especially with
conservative Democrats in swing congressional districts, to help force
other Democratic leaders to permit a vote that most of them oppose.

The prohibition, introduced by Democratic members, including Rep. Brad
Ellsworth of Indiana and Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan, would exclude cases
of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger.

The GOP accounted for 174 of the votes in favor of the amendment, with one
Republican voting "present."

On the Democrat's side, 64 voted for the measure, and 194 voted against.

A second amendment, introduced by Boehner, would have substituted several
sections of the health care bill dealing with insurance. Legislators voted
against the amendment 258-176.

Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, the longest-serving member of the House,
presided over the debate. Since joining the House in 1955 to replace his
father, Dingell, 83, has introduced his father's health insurance bill
every year since.

"The nation will be grateful to us all," he said, urging the House to pass
the bill.

It did, after a lengthy contentious session. Later, the Democrats made it
clear they are braced for a fight if one awaits them in the Senate.

"Today, Congressional Democrats put opponents of reform on notice: the
status quo is unsustainable and inaction is not an option," said Tim
Kaine, the chairman of the Democratic National Committee. "This vote
doesn't mark the end of this process -- we still have a ways to go -- but
it is a critical milestone on the road to passing health insurance reform.

"The American people want reform -- they need reform -- and Democrats will
not rest until we pass comprehensive health reform legislation."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."

- Unknown