[Vision2020] WTF?

Saundra Lund v2020 at ssl.fastmail.fm
Sat Nov 7 09:22:32 PST 2009

While I continue to hold Garrett in high regard, I'm getting by the
recurring "blame the victim" tenor in this discussion.  The best analogy I
can find is that he's presented one side only of the old defense, "he needed
killing."

I could certainly find lots of blame in this picture were I so inclined, and
it would encompass more than just blaming the victim and would absolutely
include those who chose by their behavior to cause what Garrett calls a
"crime of passion."  The situation certainly sounds like it was FUBAR, but
it wasn't only the dead victim actions that played a pivotal role in what
happened - there were terrible choices by several people all along the way.

Garrett wrote:

"Obviously he would be jealous of the affair, but he overreacted and set up
the circustance under which he was gunned down"

Why didn't the shooter call the cops for help when he received the weird
phone call in the wee morning hours, particularly since he later told the
cops that the victim had come at him many times before & since everyone in
that weird circle seemed well aware of previous reported threats?  He made a
choice not to, and that choice had fatal consequences for the victim.

And, let's not forget that the shooter had a gun & the victim didn't.

Garrett wrote:

"It seems to me that it would send the message that risky behaviour can lead
to death."

Yes, the shooter's risky behavior lead to the death of the victim, plain and
simple.  That risky behavior lead to the death of a man, and the cost that
life was five months, which I think is absolutely insane.

I'm personally uncomfortable that the victim was shot several times after
the first "heart" shot killed him instantly.

However, it seems this whole situation was incredibly bizarre and
convoluted, so while I can understand - just based on what was reported and
has been said here - that perhaps this wasn't a killing that required
locking up the shooter for a decade, five months is absolutely crazy.  The
shooter is responsible for voluntarily and unjustifiably killing another
human being, and the punishment absolutely should be more than five months
in jail and 15 years probation or human life is cheapened for all of us.

Garrett wrote:

"Perhaps it's just an extension of self-defense."

Bull crap - the shooter apparently knew that defense wouldn't wash, which is
likely why he copped a plea.  The killer himself didn't even have enough
confidence in that perversion of a legitimate defense to present it.

Garrett wrote:

"Lots of people are assholes.  Maybe James is, too."

I guess time will tell, and hopefully there won't be another dead or
battered person to make it indisputably clear.

Certainly, he has a huge moral obligation to the child of the man he killed.
The fatherless child deserves no less than to never want for anything in her
life, and the killer needs to spend the rest of his life working to ensure
that her childhood is financially secure and that she can get a college
education - that child needs to be his first financial priority until she's
fully grown.  It's the very least he can do to try to in some way make
amends for killing her father.

Garrett wrote:

"The saddest thing for me is that Tyler's daughter will never know her
father, but one day she'll deserve to know what happened to her dad.  What's
that going to do to her?"

I can only hope that the adults involved have enough sense to get
professional guidance and grow up a h*ll of a lot!  Blaming the victim - her
father -- certainly won't do her any favors.  I have no idea how you'd ever
explain to a child that her father's life was only worth five months . . .

Garrett wrote:

"The criminal justice system is underfunded and over stretched.  There are
only so many prison beds.  I can understand why those intimate with the
system are looking for ways to keep people out.  They found someone in this
case.  Perhaps they would think differently if they had unlimited
resources."

While I agree with much of the above, I completely reject the notion that
society is better off kicking violent offenders - which the shooter is -
out.  Many, many, many people have had the opportunity to commit "crimes of
passion" yet have the self-restraint not to do so in situations way more
FUBAR than this.  The fact that the shooter made a long series of bad
choices that resulted in the unnecessary death of the victim at his hand
puts him in a special category that deserves more punishment than five
flippin' months in prison.

OTOH, since he was given such a generous gift, he'd better make the best of
it by putting the fatherless child at the very top of his financial
priorities.  If he doesn't do so, then he'll remain nothing more than the
dirt bag continuing to make the kind of irresponsible and rotten choices
that lead him to kill.

"I have a vested interest in getting my perspective out there"

It's a crime the victim isn't around to get his perspective out there,
something everyone reading this thread should remember.

And it's a shame the victim's genuine loved ones aren't here to get their
perspectives out as well.  There are always at least two sides to every
story, and I suspect those who genuinely loved Tyler would have a different
and just as valuable perspectives.

Saundra Lund

Moscow, ID

nothing.

~ Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2009 through life plus
70 years, Saundra Lund.  Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside
author.*****