[Vision2020] WTF?

Garrett Clevenger garrettmc at verizon.net
Thu Nov 5 18:19:11 PST 2009

My ex-fiance is the woman who had a child with Tyler, the guy shot.  My relationship with her ended 6 years ago, but we've kept in touch.  She told me the scenario around why Tyler was shot.

This isn't something that could be explained sufficiently by the papers, so it's understandable why people would question how the guy who killed Tyler could be released so soon.

This was a love triangle gone bad by immature young adults.  Tyler found out James was having an affair with the mother of Tyler's kid (my ex from long ago) and flipped out.

James believed Tyler was out of control (Tyler had been whacked on drugs for days and had implied to my ex that he intended to die).

If this guy came to your house threatening your family, what would you do?  Waiting for help from the cops may have been to late.

Tyler was shot in the heat of an argument that Tyler went looking for.  James believed he had no choice but to defend himself and his family.

The whole thing is tragic, but it's real.  Crimes of passion are a leading cause of domestic violence.

I don't condone what James did, but understand that the life of your family is something most people won't take lightly.

Locking up James any longer would be a waste of money, and of his life.  It would do James' family no good if he were locked up.

I don't know James, but believe he is not a threat to society.  He will be on parole, so if he is a bad guy, he will be monitored.

Sometimes you gotta trust that the legal system works and that putting some people behind bars for crimes they didn't go looking for yet committed is a waste.

James will be paying in many ways for taking the law into his own hands for the rest of his life.  It is a shame that Tyler's family will be paying, too...

Take home message: be careful who you threaten, or better yet, don't threaten anyone!

 Garrett Clevenger