[Vision2020] Terrorism -An uncomfortable truth?

bear at moscow.com bear at moscow.com
Sat May 30 14:11:20 PDT 2009

There was a terrible terrorist incident in Iran, on Friday, gunmen
attacked Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's election campaign center
in the same city. and I was proud that our country took the step of
sending condolences, and condemed the attack.

"The United States strongly condemns the recent terrorist attacks inside
Iran," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a statement.
"The American people send their deepest condolences to the victims and
their families. No cause justifies terrorism, and the United States
condemns it in any form, in any country, against any people."

Now, where the uncomfortable truth comes in for me, is the phrase "No
cause justifies terrorism", when read in the context of the founding of
the US. How do we as a logical society justify the terrorist incidents
perpetrated against the lawful government of the 13 colonies by what we
now revere as the "founding fathers"? At what point are what could be
called acts of terrorism acts of patriotism? Does the political end
justify the terrorism means?

Comments?