[Vision2020] Where in the World???

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Mon May 25 22:50:29 PDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 20:33, Kenneth Marcy <kmmos1 at verizon.net> wrote:

> I think the implied suggestion is that food items from far away are more
> expensive monetarily and ecologically because the petro-products used in
> their growth and transport add excessively to the foodstuff's cost. Buying as
> much food from as close to home as possible minimizes some of those costs.

Nalley and Western Family would be buying locally if it were
economically advantageous.

> Buying more fresh foods in season supports local farmers, makes eaters more
> aware and appreciative of the source, quality, and quantity of what is eaten.
> It may mean that you'll consume less fresh fruit out of (North American)
> season, so, for example, fresh fruit salad in January would be less likely.

I marvel every time I peruse the produce aisles at the inscrutable
machinations that make is possible for me to enjoy grapes and bananas
at virtually any season of the year.

> Suggested reading: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life, by Barbara
> Kingsolver, and The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, by
> Michael Pollen.

I've read Omnivore's Dilemma (loved it), but I haven't tackled Food
Life.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Chas